diy solar

diy solar

Is my battery dead?

czane

Chins 24v 150ah battery 1 year and 2 months old - connected to an MPP hybrid LV2424. Been working great for over a year. Low sun time of the year so hybrid inverter has been doing its thing to switch to utility to charge (LVD set for 22.8 - well above the Chins BMS) when not enough solar throughout the day.

The other evening my logs showed the battery at 22.8 so it should have switched to utility but everything just switched off. Voltage check on the battery shows 9.18 volts with no load. With no battery the hybrid inverter won't turn on - battery is so low a 24v charger won't even start.

Presume battery is dead? Sounds like an internal failure?

Don't count the battery out just yet. Its possible the BMS needs to be reset. Not sure of the specifics of the Chins brand battery. Hope one of the other Forum members has first hand experience and can help.

chins responded - super quick. will give this a try tomorrow when the sun comes up...

1: Please use 36V solar photovoltaic panels to directly charge the battery. When the battery voltage reaches about 22V, the battery's BMS will be activated. (You can also use 24V solar photovoltaic panels to activate the battery's BMS.)
2: Please use the 29.2 lithium iron phosphate battery special charger (with 0V charging function) to charge the battery. When the battery voltage reaches about 22V, the battery's BMS can also be activated.
3: If you have another same battery, and the voltage of this battery is higher than 26V, you can connect the two batteries in parallel. When the battery with low voltage reaches about 22V, the battery's BMS is also activated.
If you cannot activate it, please contact us again

It sounds like one or more than one cell had reached Low Voltage shutdown so the BMS shuts down the whole battery.

Was able to rewire my array to send just one panel down to the battery. BMS reset after about 10 mins. Back up and running. Thank you everyone!

My LVD on the LV2424 is set for 22.8. Might increase that a bit more to prevent this from happening again or reduce load during the winter.

Back