diy solar

diy solar

Is my charge controller fried?

JLH1

I built a small 200 W minimalist system in a box for our off-grid camper using the Rich Solar 20 MPPT and two 12v 55 amp hour sealed batteries. It worked great until I unplugged the solar panels and left for a few weeks. Upon return the batteries were down to 12.1 v (I should not of left them plugged into the controller I guess) and would not take a charge. Plus the load indicator suggested there was a short circuit (did not have this condition before I left). I charged the batteries with a separate battery charger and plugged everything back in and still have the same issues - charge controller reads proper voltage from panels but zero amps and short circuit load light is blinking - even with all loads removed. Is my controller somehow fried? Can it be reset??

1st are you running it 12v or 24v ?
2nd either my Renogy or Rich solar 20a likes to have battery power before the solar panels are plugged in.
3rd what are the spect of the panel you are using? a pic of the label would be great.
4th use a multi meter and make sure the pos and neg or either the batter or solar panel didn't get mixed up
5th go thru the menu and see what E code comes up.

Did you unplug the batteries and leave the solar plugged into the controller? That's a likely way to fry a controller.

unplugged the solar panels and left for a few weeks.
See: (good thought though!)
Did you unplug the batteries and leave the solar plugged into the controller
Plus the load indicator suggested there was a short circuit
What load indicator? On the charge controller?
The load output on an SCC is for very modest loads, NOT for powering an inverter or much of anything (this is what a battery is for).

Have you power cycled your SCC with only the battery attached?
If that’s successful add solar. If that works, remove solar and add your load(s).

Check back in and let us know what happened.

Did you unplug the batteries and leave the solar plugged into the controller? That's a likely way to fry a controller.
I left the batteries plugged into the charge controller without the solar panels plugged in

See: (good thought though!)

What load indicator? On the charge controller?
The load output on an SCC is for very modest loads, NOT for powering an inverter or much of anything (this is what a battery is for).

Have you power cycled your SCC with only the battery attached?
If that’s successful add solar. If that works, remove solar and add your load(s).

Check back in and let us know what happened.
Thanks - There was nothing I could do to revive it! I returned the unit and got a replacement. It works great.

Back