diy solar

diy solar

Is my new LiFePO4 battery DOA? Voltage issues; drastic drop under small load.

SlubberBub

Hi, I'm new here. Just about finished building my first camper van and I suddenly ran into a big issue with the battery(?). My battery has been charging on solar for weeks, and the battery voltage reached full charge ~14.4v. I can run lights and fans using the battery, but the voltage drops with any small load. Even a small LED light and fan tank the voltage to like 10v. When I try to use my inverter, it starts beeping loudly and won't work, and I think this is because the system voltage drops too low for it to operate.

I turned the solar off and tried to charge with the NOCO GENPRO10X1: with no load on battery, the NOCO says the battery is full. With a small load on the battery, the NOCO power light and Lithium charge light alternate flashing. It seems to charge a little, but made no difference to the voltage drop issue.

Connections are tight, and the battery monitor is connected directly to the battery and gives the same voltage readings. Is my battery trash or is there some other option?

This is my system.
Panels: Newpowa 160(Watt) Solar Panel Monocrystalline
Controller: Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)
Battery: Ampere Time LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery 12V 100Ah with Built-in BMS
Battery Monitor: Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense
Shore Charger: NOCO Genius GENPRO10X1 10-Amp Fully-Automatic 12V Onboard Battery Charger
Inverter: Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter

I appreciate the help!

You could have a bad connection causing the problem.

I would check the voltage at the battery terminals with a DVM while loaded ..... if it is dropping there, there may be an internal connection problem or bad cells.

Check every cell then add them up and see if it matches. Also check total voltage bypassing the BMS

You could have a bad connection causing the problem.

I would check the voltage at the battery terminals with a DVM while loaded ..... if it is dropping there, there may be an internal connection problem or bad cells.

The Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense is connected directly to the terminals, and it shows the same voltage drop, so it's sounding like my new battery is a dud. I don't have a volt meter but I could see if they will check it at an auto parts store. I have a feeling I spent a lot of money for a brick.

The Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense is connected directly to the terminals, and it shows the same voltage drop, so it's sounding like my new battery is a dud. I don't have a volt meter but I could see if they will check it at an auto parts store. I have a feeling I spent a lot of money for a brick.
Who did you buy it from? I would be filing a complaint.

It is possible that it is repairable if it can be taken apart for troubleshooting .... but I'm sure that would void your warranty unless recommended by the seller.

Who did you buy it from? I would be filing a complaint.

It is possible that it is repairable if it can be taken apart for troubleshooting .... but I'm sure that would void your warranty unless recommended by the seller.
I got it on Amazon, sold by "Ampere Time US", the manufacturer. I sent them a message. I will file complaint on Amazon too after confirming the battery test at the terminals with a meter. I was going to leave for out west in a couple days... might call Battleborn and see how fast they can send me a battery. Didn't want to spend that much but I see many van builders use them, and it seems cheaping out was a big mistake.

Thanks for the help! I left to charge with the NOCO overnight, then went to an auto parts store and they read the same voltage drop at the battery terminals. I am getting a new battery from another company. Ampere Time responded to my message, so hopefully they will follow through on refund.

Back