diy solar

diy solar

Is my Victron 100/30 dead?

Goodoz

[this was also posted to the victron community forum]

I have a new (out of warranty) 100/30 that I had connected to 3 200W panels which were in series...VOC of the array was 72.9...mild temps/upper 50s/lower 60s F. Connected to battery first, then PV. All was working fine for three days. Tonight I got home and checked the bank's shunt...it took a pretty good charge today (35% increase SOC on 200AH). Tonight I went to log into the controller to see Kw produced and it wasn't in the pick list of components in V Connect. When I looked closer, it was no longer powered up...no BT flashing light. A volt meter inserted into the battery terminal connectors (with the cables connected to the battery) shows 1.8 volts. The cables, themselves, connected to the battery show 13.2V. Is there a fuse that could have blown?

[this was also posted to the victron community forum]

I have a new (out of warranty) 100/30 that I had connected to 3 200W panels which were in series...VOC of the array was 72.9...mild temps/upper 50s/lower 60s F. Connected to battery first, then PV. All was working fine for three days. Tonight I got home and checked the bank's shunt...it took a pretty good charge today (35% increase SOC on 200AH). Tonight I went to log into the controller to see Kw produced and it wasn't in the pick list of components in V Connect. When I looked closer, it was no longer powered up...no BT flashing light. A volt meter inserted into the battery terminal connectors (with the cables connected to the battery) shows 1.8 volts. The cables, themselves, connected to the battery show 13.2V. Is there a fuse that could have blown?
Update: The failure was noticed when connected to a 12V lithium battery. I just connected the same controller to a 24V battery and it powered up. Odd. I then returned it to the 12V battery and now it works. Does anyone have a guess about what just happened?

Make sure you check the settings.

The Victrons (and many other charge controllers) do detect battery voltage only on first startup.
That means: If you have initially tested it on a 24V bank (first power on) it will auto-detect 24V, and use that from that point.

If you afterwards connect it to a 12V battery, it will assume it's an empty 24V battery, and charges accordingly. (Thus overcharging a 12V battery)

Always when changing battery voltages double check the controllers settings!

Make sure you check the settings.

The Victrons (and many other charge controllers) do detect battery voltage only on first startup.
That means: If you have initially tested it on a 24V bank (first power on) it will auto-detect 24V, and use that from that point.

If you afterwards connect it to a 12V battery, it will assume it's an empty 24V battery, and charges accordingly. (Thus overcharging a 12V battery)

Always when changing battery voltages double check the controllers settings!
Understood...but the problem was that the unit would not power up (ie. you can't change a setting). I was able to trace it down to a melted connector on an alligator clamp (it was melted underneath the rubber grip)...switched it out to 6GA bare copper welding cable with ring terminals and the problem is now solved. Thanks for your reply!

Back