diy solar

diy solar

Is Renogy Going Out Of Business?

Thank you for your support for our products. We are trying our best to improve our customer service. Regarding the bad manual, could you please provide the product name and parameter so that we can give feedback to relevant team? Many thanks.
It is the 40 amp DC-DC, 12v, converter. The big rectangular one. The incorrect parameters were the Dip switch settings. Your updated manual online has the correct settings, and I believe (based on the lack of other people having this problem recently) that it's been fixed in the print manual as well. I was frustrated, because even though the issue is fixed NOW, I spent a while trying to get it to run at the time.

I bought it about a year ago, so imagine that batch is long gone by now.

Also, pick up the phone. The over an hour wait was irritating. The problem probably could have been solved in a few minutes by a tech support agent with the new version of the manual.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Their products are lack luster at best, and only popular because of the price point and the amount of gear they hemmorage to the "vanlife influencer" type crowds

I personally know 3 different people that have had their Renogy DCDC chargers fail within the first year and 2 people whos inverters have failed within the first year.

It was all warrantied at some point, but i dont know that many people to begin with, so seeing that many failures personally was crazy

I do a fair amount of small off grid systems here in SoCal for vans and campers. I wont even install Renogy stuff anymore

Last edited:
It is the 40 amp DC-DC, 12v, converter. The big rectangular one. The incorrect parameters were the Dip switch settings. Your updated manual online has the correct settings, and I believe (based on the lack of other people having this problem recently) that it's been fixed in the print manual as well. I was frustrated, because even though the issue is fixed NOW, I spent a while trying to get it to run at the time.

I bought it about a year ago, so imagine that batch is long gone by now.

Also, pick up the phone. The over an hour wait was irritating. The problem probably could have been solved in a few minutes by a tech support agent with the new version of the manual.
Hi, I understand your feelings perfectly. We attach importance to customers' voice and have taken some steps to better improve our customer service and products.

As for the phone service, you may call us through Friday 8:30 am - 3:00 pm PST. Sincerely apologize for your an-hour waiting. We will give feedback to relevant team to check. Any further advice, you can also try our new live chat function on the website. Or you can contact us by support@renogy.com

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited:
Not sure about you, but they will NOT change my mind. I just did a duckduckgo search for 'Renogy Reviews' and the 3rd item was TrustPilot. They collect reviews from all kinds of websites such as amazon and ebay. **Notice Renogy just in the last 3-4 hours they have responded to complaints from MONTHS AGO.** View attachment 94758 Kinda fishy as they didn't seem to resolve any issues on said reviews until THIS THREAD POPPED UP. They have been in business how long now? There is a lot of competition out there nowadays. And now we all know these companies lurk on here. I guess there is one good thing coming from this and that is maybe other potential customers will seek out numerous outlets for reviews and the many companies out there offering the same type merchandise. Even if you throw out 20% of the reviews as bogus or what ever you define as not being an honest non sponsored review, you can get the feeling of a company should you need support/customer service.
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that someone at the company thought it was time to step their customer service game up a bit. Maybe they don't want to be known for lack of support anymore and are trying to do something about that.

IMO anyone buying Renology equipment is trying to save money and should not be surprised when left out to dry in customer support, how else is a company able to spend money on influencers AND offer cheap components? Cut costs other ways.

Also yeah I’m a cheapskate, I’ll do my research and buy a cheaper product (reliable 1500w PSW inverter for 1/2 the cost of a quality unit) but, sure as heck I won’t come crying here if it fails on me. I made the calculated risk and aware I may end up with a POS after a few seasons that’s on me not the company selling cheap components.
"CHEAP, GOOD, FAST" PLEASE PICK ANY TWO.
Most of us have seen such signs on business walls and it reflects what you said above. "Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya chance".

I bought 3 Renogy products over the winter for my travel trailer system with my eyes wide open. I know not to expect everything to measure up to Victron, Redarc, Blue Sea etc. It is clearly a different business model. That is obvious, so let's manage our expectations.

If we want to spend 3 times as much (no exaggeration) for guaranteed quality, we can do that, many do.

Early days yet, but (luckily?) all work fine for me right now. Regarding the limited tech support, that's why I come here. What a great resource!

Last edited:
What you Pay, is what you get.
Hopefully the company`s access to this forum would help streamline support and service. Like other social media Platforms have done.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that someone at the company thought it was time to step their customer service game up a bit. Maybe they don't want to be known for lack of support anymore and are trying to do something about that.
Hi. Thanks for your understanding, and we would work hard to press ahead.

This has happened at my forum (unrelated to solar) and I think folks need to take a break on manufacturers daring to post publicly and if you have a problem long standing, why not message them now and see what they can do?

I had an interesting experience with Renogy, which was successfully resolved. I ordered a Midnight Solar MNPC6 combiner box and breakers rated for my application only to find out they would not fit this box (at least not without using the fuse holder set up, which would then limit it to 4 breakers instead of 6. I had a note in the order instructions indicating my concern about that possibility, which was apparently overlooked.

In addition to the rather discouraging revelation that the MNPC6 would not work for my application, another big surprise occurred when I opened the boxes from Renogy. Instead of the 5 breakers I ordered, I received 5 CASES (12 breakers in each case for a total of 60)!!! Some poor soul in shipping was likely admonished if not canned for that after I brought it to their attention.

It's sad to be honest some days... Instead of listing all these breakers on eBay I initiated RMAs for the entire mess.... Tech support did thank me for letting them know ;)

20220201_145914.jpg

The RMA shipping label I received was for one box, instead of the two the stuff came in. I taped the two boxes together with the one label taped to the top one. Thankfully they made it back to Renogy. 2 weeks later I had yet to receive the refund, so I called. Long time on hold, but I eventually got through and they initiated the refund, which hit my card a couple of days later.

So, it all worked out fine, but it did take time. I could have made out like a bandit listing all the free breakers on eBay, but I'd have problems living with my self had I gone that route ;)

Renogy does seem to be trying their best, as evidenced in this thread. And they do have good products for the price point. If you need a lot of hand holding, you may be better served paying more and using a company that invests more in tech support and customer service. If you're like most DIYers and looking for the best price, you really should expect to have some issues to resolve.

My first build is 100% Renogy from panels to batteries and I've had no issues for the three years it's been operational.
Thanks for your support. Renogy takes our products and customer service as priority. And we look forward to more advice. Any advice, you can contact us. Many thanks.

Yeah this is true for pretty much everyone in solar. Bluetti, ecoflow etc. They all have bad reviews on this site. Renogy has the most reviews because they have been around longer than the others. Even if 99% of orders are fulfilled and have zero issues, this site collects all the bad reviews. Pretty annoying.

"and now we know these companies lurk on here" really? A company responding is considered a bad thing? Where in the world does this type of thinking arise from? I fail to see the logic in your statement.

Show me a company that has good reviews on that website and sells solar equipment. I can't find any.
****Lurks conspicuously****

'Caveat Emptor'……???​

Sorry all you reviewers in the aforementioned 1% :cautious: bracket that got ignored and lost your hard earned $$$
(That percentage in reality is much, much higher)
Nuff Said
✌️

Last edited:
_Again?_ I'm having "is Renogy going out of business" discussion deja-vu all over again! It was just last year, wasn't it?

Thanks for your support. Renogy takes our products and customer service as priority. And we look forward to more advice. Any advice, you can contact us. Many thanks.
Well since you are asking for advice, I'll mention the one Renogy product that is TERRIBLE! Your monitoring software. I have your BT-1 module and the Renogy BT app is laughable. Perhaps some others here can add their opinion about your apps. I'm currently planning and stacking parts for my next large solar build, and I am not considering Renogy equipment at all due to your terrible monitoring apps. My first build is 100% Renogy and I've had no problems, but I am not impressed by your apps and for that reason will not be purchasing your equipment for future builds. You lost a customer that you initially snagged with your marketing due to your mediocre apps.

Last edited:
I have no issues with the Renogy app on the iPhone, if I do its not any different from the rest of the apps I use on the same iPhone 11 with all the upgrades.

I am in the ending stages of setting up a off grid back up system with 600 watts of panels. Everything I have received from them has worked and not been damaged. I purchased the 2000 watt inverter charger and wow its heavy, powered up and charged my Renogy batteries just fine and when I ran my 1500 watt test off the inverter and batteries zero issues.

Waiting on parts for my welder so I can finish the panel mount rack.

I am retired and on a fixed income, not poor by any means but I can not seeing paying 3 and 4 times what I did for the Blue equipment that does the same thing,? Renogy is not cheap either but good value for the money, Miles above the crap sold on eBay, Facebook Market place or direct from China.

Well since you are asking for advice, I'll mention the one Renogy product that is TERRIBLE! Your monitoring software. I have your BT-1 module and the Renogy BT app is laughable. The Renogy DC app doesn't even work. Perhaps some others here can add their opinion about your apps. I'm currently planning and stacking parts for my next large solar build, and I am not considering Renogy equipment at all due to your terrible monitoring apps. My first build is 100% Renogy and I've had no problems, but I hate your apps and for that reason will not be purchasing your equipment for future builds. You lost a customer that you initially snagged with your marketing due to your terrible apps. Also, I use iPads to monitor and your Renogy DC app doesn't work correctly on my iPhone 11, iPhone 5S nor on 4 different model iPads including my iPad 12.9 Pro.
Hello. Sorry for your inconvenience. Could you please provide some photos or screenshots of DC app error so that we would ask relevant team for help? Many thanks.

Hello. Sorry for your inconvenience. Could you please provide some photos or screenshots of DC app error so that we would ask relevant team for help? Many thanks.

I use the Renogy BT app with the new BT-1 module daily and for the most part it works well. I had the old BT-1 module and the signal would cut out all the time, but the new model works good with good range. The old BT-1 doesn't have a power indicator, but the new model does. I am able to monitor the Renogy Rover-40 amp & Rover-100 amp SCC OK and can make parameter changes on both units. These features work well.

The Record tab shows the current day values Ok and the Last Day & Next Day work OK, but when selecting the blue arrows for graphs the data seems unreliable at best. For example, the power graph Show 0 KWH Power Generated and Power used has data, but I am not using load on the Rover 100 and does not have that feature. The data appears reversed. Please see attached screen shot. Other graphs the data seems obscure & not really useful at least for me.

Also, the password feature will not work properly. It will randomly reset to the default of 135790123. I just use the default and it always works.

Over all I like the Renogy BT app for the 2 Rover SSC, but it could use some work.

I will say that previous versions of the Renogy BT app did not work well at all, but the current version 1.1.1 (now 2 years old) of the Apple iOS in the app store I am using works good except for the issues above.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.PNG
    IMG_2861.PNG
    967.2 KB · Views: 1
Funny I tried to contact you guys for an entire week about a failed DC to DC charger.. You guys could start by answering the phones and providing even a small level of customer service..I finally gave up and our customer returned it to Amazon.. He replaced it with a Victron that works perfectly..

Back