diy solar

diy solar

Is the Ecoflow Delta good for an RV?

Danger_Zone

I have a small class B+ Motorhome, I use it 3-4 days a week as my mobile office. It has a built in gas Oran generator, which provides plenty of power to my electronics and microwave. My issue is that I can’t operate my TV (45 Watts), Laptop, or make a cup of coffee unless the generator is on, and the the generator is noisy at times. I Initially purchased a high quality cigarette lighter inverter, but that requires for me to leave the engine running. This option increased my fuel cost significantly to an extra $80 per week. This led me to recently purchasing the Ecoflow Delta, I picked up the Delta1300 for $1099 and I purchased the 4 year extended warranty for an extra $80. It hasn’t been delivered yet so I don’t know if this is a good unit or not. I like that the Delta can recharge quickly in 2 hours using my AC outlet when my Motorhome’s Oran generator is running. However, I am concerned about the reports of fan noise, lack of customer service, durability, overheating, and longevity issues. I feel somewhat better knowing that I have an extra 4 year warranty in case the performance becomes a major issue. Ideally the Bluetti ac200 seems to be a better option, but it’s out of stock and the price is $2000 on back order. The seller has a 90 day return policy, worst case scenario, I can use this Ecoflow delta for the next 3 months and return it for a refund if performance is an issue. Please share your thoughts, thank you.

Determine the number of Watt-hours you need to use 120VAC items w/o the generator, i.e., 60W laptop for 3 hours + 2 hours of a 45W TV + 15 minutes of a 900W coffee pot (DON'T LEAVE IT ON WHEN IT'S DONE!).

3 *60 + 2 * 45 + 0.25 * 900 = 795Wh

Then divide that by 0.85 for inefficiencies; 795/.85 = 935Wh

If a unit's battery capacity exceed that, then you should be able to run the said devices for the indicated times. Note that any errors you make in identifying other loads or background loads (AC-DC converter, etc.), will create an error.

If you plug your RV into a 110VAC outlet with a kill-a-watt meter, you can get an idea of what your energy usage is for unknown or unseen devices.

The noise is about equivalent to a refrigerator fan. Not really bad, and you can just move the thing.
When I have power outages I use a Champion 2000W gas generator daytime and the Delta at night. It can charge the Delta in 2 hours,
and it is the quiet option. If there is sunlight the Delta will pass through the power if you have panels.
The Delta's DC to AC inverter uses about 30W an hour just being on. So yes use the AC to make coffee, but then turn the AC side off.
The DC outs are much more efficient. I would use the car 12Vdc to Ac inverter on the cigarette out on the Delta when you don't need hi watts AC, it will give you abut 108W, plenty for your TV and whatnot.
Your laptop probably will run off the USB-C out, if not natively they have adapter cables on Amazon that have the right connector for various laptops and tell the charger what voltage to send.
The voltages on the USB-C outs negotiate the voltage with the destination, up to 20V at 3A. If you want to trick them into sending a particular voltage, you can use a "decoy trigger" that you can program to tell the device to send 9V or 12V or 20V.
If you want to run your van's Fantastic Fan with one of the USB-C outs, you can use this decoy trigger program it for 20V, and then use a buck converter to step the voltage down to 12 Volts DC - at 5 Amps.
Decoy Trigger.

Here's a typical Buck converter for stepping down the voltage and increasing the amps. This looks well overspeced for the job.

This is a USB-C female to barrel connector with a built in trigger, to tell a usb "PD" type power supply - like on the Delta USB-C ports - what voltage to send for various laptops with barrel connectors for power, that can't negotiate power. It means you can use the USB-C instead of an AC to DC wall wart adapter. There are others besides these, these are for the HP Laptop 18-20V/ Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, or compatible.

Last edited:
Back