diy solar

diy solar

is their an advantage to 200+ watt panels vs 100 watt panels?

Jamie.sanders

Sorry, new guy here, I'm looking at the blueprints in particular the Rich solar 100 watt Poly panel for $89.00 this looks to be the best bank for the buck.
but is this the best bang for the buck?
Is their an advantage to running larger panels? I'm looking at having 2,000 watts of panels, mounted outside, and space is not an issue.
any reasons not to go with the smaller 100 watt panels over larger panels? is their a better option? I plan on a 24 volt system.
from my research:
the down side is more wires to plug up. more mounting hardware needed.

the upside is saving about $300.00, opinions? comments? snide remarks?

Is their an advantage to running larger panels?
I think that larger panels are better in every aspect except when having to fit them in tight spaces. The amount of effort to mount 20 panels instead of ~6 big ones is enormous. There was someone here last year who was mounting 30-40 100W panels... I have not heard anything from him so he might still be installing them.

Have you looked on craigslist in your area for big cheap panels? You can likely get big cheap panels for $.50/watt or better.

If you provide a general location, maybe someone here has the lowdown on something near you.

thanks for the reply, and the funny comment about him still installing them, I'm in Central Arkansas, about an hour and a half north west of little rock.

Sorry, new guy here, I'm looking at the blueprints in particular the Rich solar 100 watt Poly panel for $89.00 this looks to be the best bank for the buck.
but is this the best bang for the buck?
Is their an advantage to running larger panels? I'm looking at having 2,000 watts of panels, mounted outside, and space is not an issue.
any reasons not to go with the smaller 100 watt panels over larger panels? is their a better option? I plan on a 24 volt system.
from my research:
the down side is more wires to plug up. more mounting hardware needed.

the upside is saving about $300.00, opinions? comments? snide remarks?
Are you going to be grid tied? Do you need UL approval on the panels? If the answer is no, just get used panels.

Shipping is about $200, so the more you buy, they less the shipping is for each panel. The palletize them, so the shipping doesn't change much. x8 of these would put you in the $650 range, maybe less. I would get at least x9 (I actually ordered x12 when they were on sale).

The only advantage to the 100w panels is that you can move them around and mount them with ease because they are so small/light. The bigger panels weight about 40 lbs and are awkward to carry.

not gonna be grid tied, I’m in the back woods of Arkansas on 7 acres and just want it run a few things all the time and then for when the ice takes the power out for days at a time.

I’m in the back woods of Arkansas on 7 acres
Nice big lot. Are you making a ground based array? It would make handling big panels a lot easier. Just a thought.
Lots and lots of those San Tan panels in use by folks here. A search would show lots of happy customers.

Provided charge controller is spec'd to suit, fewer higher rated panels is just so much easier to work with. Less infrastructure required. Fewer supports, rails, clamps and in particular, less cabling which can get expensive if you have a lengthy cable run and easier with fewer connections in the solar combiner box. And needing to handle fewer panels is always a good thing.

if you consider santan solar, check out this resource comparing their offers. last updated may.

Nice big lot. Are you making a ground based array? It would make handling big panels a lot easier. Just a thought.
Lots and lots of those San Tan panels in use by folks here. A search would show lots of happy customers.
yes it will be on the ground, my roof has huge oak trees all around, I got a nice open piece of yard about 70 feet from the house with the south nice and clear of obstructions.

Back