diy solar

diy solar

Is there a "Dual Source" charge controller ? (120vac + Solar)

Charlie Woods

I'm trying to build a box that will house my HAM radio, charge controller, and a LifePo4 battery inside a Craftsman tool box.

Is there a small charge controller that does both charging from 120VAC and Solar?

I want to leave the box charging on 120VAC in my ham shack, and be able to hook my solar panels to it when I go into the field.

I can't search for such a controller because I don't know what they are called.

Any help appreciated!

( l love these $30 Craftsman water-resistant boxes. 17" x 13" x 12")

A PWM (pulse width modulation) solar charge controller can usually take an input from a laptop or other (above your battery voltage) wall "wart", or laptop charger. Search for "PWM solar charge controller" and select one based on how much power you will need for the build. A selector switch could be easily added to select from solar, or AC input. Or you could just add a connector, and plug in whichever source you want to use at that time. XT series (xt30, xt60, xt90) and Anderson PowerPole (or Anderson SB series) connectors are my go-to.

Some people say that MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controllers can do the same, but I've fried laptop chargers with them. Maybe some can, but speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't mess with an MPPT and laptop charger.

They also have DC-DC chargers that can take a range of voltages (from solar, other batteries, power supplies, or really any DC source, such as a HAM radio power supply) and convert them to a useable charge for your battery.

I want to leave the box charging on 120VAC in my ham shack, and be able to hook my solar panels to it when I go into the field.
If you provide a connector for plug and play charging.... connect the home charger at home and the separate controller when on the road.
I don't see the need to have this all built into the case. And no I have never seen a dual input charger as described.

A PWM (pulse width modulation) solar charge controller can usually take an input from a laptop or other (above your battery voltage) wall "wart"

I did not know that. Thanks! This may be the way to go.

Perhaps this is what "solar generators" like the Bluetti AC200P are doing.

charging.jpg

My old Nature's Generator "solar generator" doesn't require a wall wart. 120VAC goes straight in. I need to tear into that thing and see how they accomplish this. I like being able to just plug an extension cord into the front of it when I'm at a campsite or public park with 120VAC available.

Generator_Front_Panel_2_61a90990-795b-4a0d-82f2-45044797832a_360x.jpg

I did not know that. Thanks! This may be the way to go.

Perhaps this is what "solar generators" like the Bluetti AC200P are doing.

My old Nature's Generator "solar generator" doesn't require a wall wart. 120VAC goes straight in. I need to tear into that thing and see how they accomplish this. I like being able to just plug an extension cord into the front of it when I'm at a campsite or public park with 120VAC available.
I imagine that the Bluetti is doing just that. All of the Solar, DC, and "AC" (AC in this case meaning DC from an AC converter), most likely go through the solar charge controller so it can "match" the charge source to battery voltage.

The Nature's Generator most likely has a small AC to DC module (like a "wall wart") built INSIDE of the unit, rather than built into the power cable.

I went a similar route as @tim0shel for my generator box. I have a Victon MPPT solar charge controller and a separate 40 amp, Renogy, DC-DC charger. The DC charger can be fed with a car alternator / battery, or in my case, a used, $13, 63 amp, 12 volt server rack power supply (before I got the used PSU, I was using an Astron HAM power supply and the DC converter, just make sure that the power supply can provide at least 20% more power than you will ever pull from it). For shallow discharges I just use my bench power supply for charging.

If you can, I would suggest using what you may already have. Old laptop chargers, HAM radio power supplies, or old desktop computers make fantastic chargers IMHO. Find out how many amps you can produce at your batteries voltage with whatever supply you may have, and select a charge controller that can utilize those sources.

Side note: I got two dell Z750p redundant server rack power supplies for about $25, including shipping, on eBay. They put out 60+ amps EACH @ exactly 12.1 volts, about 1.5kw of 12v DC total. I spent a LOT more for a 20 amp Astron PSU for HAM radio. The power supplies are so much cheaper, and can be repurposed into battery chargers pretty easily. If you are ever in the market for a good quality, very stable power supply, check out used server supplies. They are a game changer (for lower budget, high quality designs, at least).

What are your final system specs? Battery type, battery capacity, how much power do you use per day, and how long would you like your generator to run your HAM radio equipment without any sort of charging? That info would be very helpful in deciding what size charger/s you will need.

Back