diy solar

diy solar

Is there a hybrid charge controller (e.g small grid-tie type) that accepts input from a gas/diesel generator (inverter type) to charge batteries?

PopDBop

Couldn't quite find the clear answer to this, but would like to know what types of charge controllers, if any, would allow you to charge batteries from one single-phase AC output genset being fed into the controller.

I can't say a grid-tie system would work as it's likely expecting 3 phase coming in from the grid, and is not setup to handle a single-phase input. Perhaps a mfg has thought of this scenario and builds such a controller that has charging input from an single phase AC generator. Of course, I'd use an quality inverter generator for a clean power feed to the controller.

I would anticipate using the generator only in the event of no/insufficient sun for days, at night, or in the event I lose the PV array for some reason.

Any ideas?

It's not really a charge controller, but what you would refer to as a hybrid inverter, one that can either be connected to the grid, or function fully off-grid. This is Schneider's base model that runs on 24V. I also have Schneider's XW+6848 for my cabin.
Both are designed to be hard-wired directly into the home/building's main electrical panel. They offer "ACout" in both split-phase 120V and 240V AC, and "ACin" either through the grid, or through a generator. Three units must be paralleled to get 3-phase AC.

I am using both the Schneider's in single phase, feeding 240V AC from the generator for battery charging current through "ACin" #2. If there was a grid I'd be connnecting that via "ACin" #1. I believe that it could also be wired for 120V AC in only, but I did not bother because of the advantage of 240VAC.

To make a functioning system with these inverters, you need the inverter, a battery bank of the correct voltage, and charge controller to accept the solar DC to charge the batteries.

For what your requesting I would recommend a hybrid inverter. Growatt/MPP are my prefered goto's however there are others in the same space that offer more robust features at significant additional cost. (solark 12k etc)

The other option for a DIY solution that is not exactly automatic however works is to create an AC to DC charger useing server powersupplies. you can follow the link in my sig for more details.

just about all have those inputs.
separated ports would be sol-ark/deye/sunsynk that i know for a fact

mpp solar /voltronic/growatt have ac inputs ( most models are not hybrid , but grid assisted.

you could use a transfer switch to switch between grid or generator ( if you have grid, otherwise just hook ac input directly to gen)
most that i know of also have a auto gen start connection

Couldn't quite find the clear answer to this, but would like to know what types of charge controllers, if any, would allow you to charge batteries from one single-phase AC output genset being fed into the controller.

I can't say a grid-tie system would work as it's likely expecting 3 phase coming in from the grid, and is not setup to handle a single-phase input. Perhaps a mfg has thought of this scenario and builds such a controller that has charging input from an single phase AC generator. Of course, I'd use an quality inverter generator for a clean power feed to the controller.

I would anticipate using the generator only in the event of no/insufficient sun for days, at night, or in the event I lose the PV array for some reason.

Any ideas?
Eco-worthy.com has a 3k 24v inverter they call off-grid. Its actually grid-tie but well, since technically can disconnect from ac then...

I returned this item because I wanted strictly off-grid. You can read details about it on Amazon but if you buy then do so from eco-worthy.com. Amazon has only 50amp and cost more than the websites now 80amp. Weird but yea.

You get more detailed info looking at the Amazon listing. Basically, its solar into batteries, no controller cuz is all-in-one so to controller. OR other option is grid or generator 1st.

Note: think only says it once but this inverter is a hybrid (a definite no for me). Sounds like thats what you are looking for.

Back