diy solar

diy solar

Is there a reliable resource to compare panel makes/models

The higher prices seem to be brand new with factory warranty.

At least with a trusted liquidator like SanTan, you can get panels that are a few years old and he gives you a 1-year warranty. Assuming you can hook them up and detect failures (I need to get myself a clamp-on DC ammeter), you can confirm they're good.

One poster has mentioned leakage issues with Trina. I haven't seen other references.

Some forum members are buying as cheap as possible, $0.12 to $0.20/watt.
I went for a premium brand name and paid a higher price. It isn't big bucks unless you buy a relatively huge quantity.

When payback vs. utility rates is down around 2 years, it is hard to lose. Especially with 1-year warranty! The only question is how far ahead you come out before having to replace the panels, assuming that ever happens.
You will never get the shipping prices they get. Good luck sending a panel back via usps or UPS for under $50 for something that big + their cost to ship back. Out of country easily double it the costs. Same cost as a new cheaper panel minus all the down time. Warranties mean nothing. Walmart can't even het their money back from roof fires with the solar city panels that were used.

Rather than similar wattage, I have many strings of same Voc and Vmp. Each series string is a single brand/model/wattage.
A couple odd panels out aren't in use, except maybe to power a DC fan.

I see several different wattage panels from a given vendor. Same cell used, but different number of cells. One I have 8 panels in series. Another model I would use 7 in series for same voltage. With my other brands, 12 and 24 in series adds up to same voltage. That's all easier to do with 600 Voc limit of a string inerter, not 150 Voc of a charge controller.

You will never get the shipping prices they get. Good luck sending a panel back via usps or UPS for under $50 for something that big + their cost to ship back. Out of country easily double it the costs. Same cost as a new cheaper panel minus all the down time. Warranties mean nothing. Walmart can't even het their money back from roof fires with the solar city panels that were used.
SanTan treats you right.
I did a quick visual inspection as I unloaded each panel. Where I saw damage, he took care of that.
I had bought extra, so had spares, and nothing had to be shipped to resolve the problem.

He turns over a huge quantity. If you assembled an array and they all/most fell apart during the one year, I imagine he would address that satisfactorily. Even if you paid the shipping cost for replacements, that isn't bad.

SanTan treats you right.
I did a quick visual inspection as I unloaded each panel. Where I saw damage, he took care of that.
I had bought extra, so had spares, and nothing had to be shipped to resolve the problem.

He turns over a huge quantity. If you assembled an array and they all/most fell apart during the one year, I imagine he would address that satisfactorily. Even if you paid the shipping cost for replacements, that isn't bad.
Santan prices were better for used panels at .20 per watt and new REC PolyC for .35. Sun elec seems to have more China brand and other brand options. Here are some more from Santan I added to my excel sheet. I'll try and get a big sheet going with prices and post it in a few days. It seems like the old trend was 60 cell at about 250w/255w 37v and now its 72 cell about 305 -320 watt 40v.

Wow, 20 cents a watt can get you up and rolling cheap you can even get 80 panels instead of 40 for the same price. I'm liking the new REC polyC for .35 or .36 cents a watt though.

Have full warranty

anyone know about REC? I think I have seen them on forums

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_200207895.jpg
    IMG_20201222_200207895.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
SanTan treats you right.

Thats good to know. So he just paid you back for the broken ones? How many did they stack on a pallet? I've read to buy extra encase the bottoms crack.

I just read the REC warranty is only valid if done by an REC certified installer. I'm doing an off grid cabin on my own, so I think all factory warranties are void.

To be shipped securely, they need corner pieces (cardboard) to keep the pallets aligned.
It was about 27 pallets per panel.
None were damaged in shipping, but I observed a gouged backsheet that damaged a cell. Probably happened with handling before it got to SanTan.

As his website points out, shipping costs as much as a couple panels, because the larger sizes have to go on pallets by truck. Its cost effective in quantity and I figured there's the possibility of damage when I'm swinging them overhead on a ladder so I bought some spares.

I saw that LG batteries required an approved installer for warranty, but there was an on-line training/test so I would have gone through that if I used them. Have to see what REC requires. Wonder what they're concerned about, that would involve improper installation causing failure. Don't walk on them??

Last edited:
To be shipped securely, they need corner pieces (cardboard) to keep the pallets aligned.
It was about 27 pallets per panel.
None were damaged in shipping, but I observed a gouged backsheet that damaged a cell. Probably happened with handling before it got to SanTan.

As his website points out, shipping costs as much as a couple panels, because the larger sizes have to go on pallets by truck. Its cost effective in quantity and I figured there's the possibility of damage when I'm swinging them overhead on a ladder so I bought some spares.

I saw that LG batteries required an approved installer for warranty, but there was an on-line training/test so I would have gone through that if I used them. Have to see what REC requires. Wonder what they're concerned about, that would involve improper installation causing failure. Don't walk on them??
I'm not worried about improper install on my part

I see and hear about used panels, I can't imagine going to the work to install them, when someone else discarded them!

Thanks for all the input and wisdom.

I see and hear about used panels, I can't imagine going to the work to install them, when someone else discarded them!

Thanks for all the input and wisdom.
Military bases replace them every 5 years regardless. Why not recycle them if they are a solid brand with more than 20 years left in them. They use sunpower

Last edited:
The government does lots of stupid things, so I would not doubt they replace them after 5 years, but can I see where you found that info?

This 2016 report tells you almost everything you want to know:

except naming names.
It gives graphs of results for each accelerated stress test, sorted best to worst.
It lists the brands, sorted alphabetically.
But it does NOT map brands to results.

Except, to say that Kyocera and Phono Solar were the only brands to score top for all tests.

With results ranging from 0% to 40% degradation for some tests, we want know which belong in the hall of shame.
But this report doesn't disclose.

I think that most of these manufacturers are in this for the long haul and are doing a good job. These companies are to big to send out a poor product that will not give repeat business. So I think do the best research you can and take a shot at what you think is a good product for a price you can live with. Like Hedges says, it is so much cheaper than years ago, that it is not like you will be out in a big way with something other than a perfect panel.

Since this is the best thread on solar panel brands I could find, I asked Santan to chime in on their opinions of the panels they sell. They get tons from solar farms etc

This 2016 report tells you almost everything you want to know:

except naming names.
It gives graphs of results for each accelerated stress test, sorted best to worst.
It lists the brands, sorted alphabetically.
But it does NOT map brands to results.

Except, to say that Kyocera and Phono Solar were the only brands to score top for all tests.

With results ranging from 0% to 40% degradation for some tests, we want know which belong in the hall of shame.
But this report doesn't disclose.
Yeah its vague

I think that most of these manufacturers are in this for the long haul and are doing a good job. These companies are to big to send out a poor product that will not give repeat business. So I think do the best research you can and take a shot at what you think is a good product for a price you can live with. Like Hedges says, it is so much cheaper than years ago, that it is not like you will be out in a big way with something other than a perfect panel.
A lot of solar farm panels for sale that arent as expensive as SunPower/Canadian Solar/Q Cell seem to be Seraphim, REC, Yingli and I'm sure these farms have calculated the economics for bank loans every which way to get the most bang per buck over time including install, life, failures d/t workmanship, etc.

REC went on sale this morning and I'm still liking the New/Old stock at santan for .30 a watt right now.

Well I went with the Trina panels from Santan solar on sale at .14 per watt/ $35 per panel - They are 60 cell 250w panels from solar farms. They said that the panels are updated bc they make more money upgrading with their limited space. He said average is 5 to 6 years old. They will be good for my off grid setup.

Got 50 sent to Oregon shipping to the freight hub was $450, and 6 sent to FL hub for $200.

Last edited:
Back