diy solar

diy solar

Is there a way add anti-reflection to a panel?

anadiner

My county ordinance requires anti- reflection material among other things. IE) UL listed

Have shopped EVERYWHERE... new and used.

Find UL listed but no anti-reflection (usually 300w+).

Find anti-reflection but not UL listed (under 200w)

Can NOT find both SO... is there a way to add anti-reflection? U know, like adding anti-glare to eye glasses

I replied to on of your other threads. I suspect that any post-production anti-reflective coating you apply would decrease the output of the panel.

These 440 watt panels have AR (anti-reflective) coating

SolareverSpecsheet_1024x1024@2x.jpg

These 440 watt panels have AR (anti-reflective) coating

View attachment 64260
Thank you very much for taking the time to find and post this.

I spent til around 4 am running viewing spec sheets until I found a few AntiRef, 2400pa and UL listed.

I like the 440w btw. I only found around 300w. Didnt find any small ones but an going to continue to look as I need decide multiple small or larger (weight is issue unless maybe I can get help).

Btw, whats pa on that?

Buy some flat white spray paint and go to town.... :)
Ok Im bad to miss social queues so ur joking right? I'll be out buying loads of paint. LOL. Eyes tired after looking at spec sheets til 4am BUT did find some.

3M and others makes Anti-Reflection films, ran across them while researching window films. I know 3M makes them for solar panels, but I got the idea they were the top layer at that factory install.

What did you find?
Was afraid somebody would ask me that. LOL. I just kept pulling up data sheets on bunch UL Listed panels then bookmarked.

Will give u a list prob later today as I narrow down what In gonna buy. Debating on like buying 2 to see how goes or s pallet.

Panels are a component, like cabling, Im very serious about.

How is the anti-reflection property added? If it is on front of the glass it would eventually wear off.. Also wonder the usefulness of such a property since whether or not you see any reflection would be directly related to the angle of the panels in relation to the sun. Wouldn't there also be unintended consequences such as the panel heating up more?

Ok, so I looked at this a bit and is actually supposed to increase efficiency of the panels by reflecting more light back into the panel especially at morning/evening/cloudy days.. Also didn't think about near airports where pilots could be blinded by the reflections.

The anti-reflective property is on the under-side of the glass. It is to help prevent rays that hit the face of the cell plane surface to not bounce back into space, but instead take a tiny bounce back onto a cell. Some manufacturers do better than others, and allow for more off-angle response - as compared to say a diy panel where someone just uses window-pane.

BUT, just because most commercial panels incorporate some form of anti-reflective surface on the back side of the glass, does not mean it is a guarantee that a significant amount will not bounce off the flat human-facing surface.

More or less, it is taken for granted that most commercial panels have anti-reflectivity on the glass back side for panel efficiency, but that does not mean it is designed to dampen any reflectivity on the front flat side!

Putting anti-reflective coatings on the front side makes off-angle photons bounce away from the working part of the panel in the first place!

The anti-reflective property is on the under-side of the glass. It is to help prevent rays that hit the face of the cell plane surface to not bounce back into space, but instead take a tiny bounce back onto a cell. Some manufacturers do better than others, and allow for more off-angle response - as compared to say a diy panel where someone just uses window-pane.

BUT, just because most commercial panels incorporate some form of anti-reflective surface on the back side of the glass, does not mean it is a guarantee that a significant amount will not bounce off the flat human-facing surface.

More or less, it is taken for granted that most commercial panels have anti-reflectivity on the glass back side for panel efficiency, but that does not mean it is designed to dampen any reflectivity on the front flat side!

Putting anti-reflective coatings on the front side makes off-angle photons bounce away from the working part of the panel in the first place!
Ahhh. That might explain why some data sheets will specifically state A R coating on front side. Most just say tempered glass... A R coating.

Back