diy solar

diy solar

Is there a way to bypass discharge/charge protection with Chargery BMS?

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
Any one know if there is an easy way to force a Chargery BMS to energize the external relay even though a parameter setting is out of range?

I suspect a weak cell (or bad cell voltage lead connection) has triggered the Chargery to open the discharge relay (NO relay) disconnecting my inverters and taking down the internet. Problem is I am currently 3000 miles away, so hoping there might be an easy way (easy enough that I can tell my caretaker how to do it :) to force the Chargery to energize the relay long enough so I get internet back , get a data dump and better troubleshoot the problem.

Any one know if there is an easy way to force a Chargery BMS to energize the external relay

Why not just bypass the relay or apply power to the relay directly from the battery? Assuming its a 12V relay, it would be powered from the battery, any external power source like a car battery, wall power supply...

I would disconnect the little power connecter from the Chargery so that you don't backfeed any power.

To bypass the relay, connect a jumper from the input post to the output post (it needs to be able to handle the load current so it'd need to be an equal size wire as is in use to and from the relay).

I would be concerned about your battery though if it is being protected by the Chargery. I'd see if your caretaker can measure voltage of the cells or cell in question to make sure it is not discharged below 2.5V.

Why not just bypass the relay or apply power to the relay directly from the battery? Assuming its a 12V relay, it would be powered from the battery, any external power source like a car battery, wall power supply...

I would disconnect the little power connecter from the Chargery so that you don't backfeed any power.

To bypass the relay, connect a jumper from the input post to the output post (it needs to be able to handle the load current so it'd need to be an equal size wire as is in use to and from the relay).

I would be concerned about your battery though if it is being protected by the Chargery. I'd see if your caretaker can measure voltage of the cells or cell in question to make sure it is not discharged below 2.5V.
Thanks for the suggestion, if I was there I would do exactly as you describe but making and connecting jumpers is beyond my caretakers ability so was hoping there was a way to do it with settings on the BMS.

He did send photos and I have one cell reading 2.59 (others are all at ~3.25). Might be a weak cell, bad connection, etc. Regardless the battery voltage is ~51 which is plenty to fire up the inverters, if I could get the load relay energized....

I found the following in the Chargery manual (page 20). I believe it is a note referring to Cut Off Time Delay setting parameter which can be set from 0 to 60 seconds. Anyone know more about this, and if it is possible to set the Chargery to "not cut off charge or discharge"

1659450191203.png

Does anyone know if "NO" is setting for the "Cut-Off Delay Time"? I am trying to troubleshoot my system remotely so cannot validate if this is a valid option ...
1659454742675.png

No takers? Can anyone with a Chargery see if Cut Off Delay Time parameter can be set to "NO". Thanks

Yes, the Cut Off Delay Time can be set to "NO" ....

Bypassed relays, inverters back on line and was able to charge system. Would have been a lot easier if BMS had a setting to engage external relays.

Would have been a lot easier if BMS had a setting to engage external relays.
There is. You set the Cut Off Delay Time to NO and after the 12V at charge and discharge port will stay energize and don't stop based on your voltage setting.
It will only cut 12V outputs at extreme range (2.5V or 4.35V). So if your LV setting is higher than 2.5V you can set NO, reenergize the relay and have a bit of time to troubleshoot.

Back