diy solar

diy solar

Is there an alternative to the Solar Smart Client app/WIFI module?

paramax55

Has anyone come up with an alternative to the WIFI module / Solar Smart Client app for the SUN GTIL2? I don't like the idea of having the dongle log into the internet just so it can send everything to a cloud. It wouldn't take much code in the firmware for that to give direct tunnel access to China into your home network. It wouldn't be the first smart home platform found to be doing that.

I'd love to see something that replaces the dongle with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. Everything could be stored on an SD card or thumbdrive and accessed through bluetooth. Or even a compatible wifi module that doesn't have to access the cloud would be fine.

Are there any options?

You could check out Solar Assistant. To see if it's compatible with your inverter.

Hello , I hope you’re all right. I have the same problem , do you find a solution ? Ios apple
Thanks

I ended up just using an iotawatt. You can hook up several different inputs (I think it's 8) and do whatever you want with the data. It's not from China. There is a trust factor in connecting it to your WIFI, but I felt the risk was minimal. I'm just monitoring power comimg in from the grid and power going out of the inverters. I have a lot more room for other inputs, but I haven't wanted to monitor anything bad enough yet. I couldn't have had the same confidence in my system without it.

I ended up just using an iotawatt. You can hook up several different inputs (I think it's 8) and do whatever you want with the data. It's not from China. There is a trust factor in connecting it to your WIFI, but I felt the risk was minimal. I'm just monitoring power comimg in from the grid and power going out of the inverters. I have a lot more room for other inputs, but I haven't wanted to monitor anything bad enough yet. I couldn't have had the same confidence in my system without it.
Another question , do you use the gti2 directly behind the solar panels or do you have , Pvs, converter, batteries, gti2 ,?

Emporia Vue, while cloud based it is much cheaper than Iotawatt. I've also seen a YouTube video where people managed to flash a custom firmware on it and jailbreak it and make it work with Home Assistant without cloud. The hardware is solid, I actually don't mind the cloud storage aspect and it works really well.

Back