diy solar

diy solar

Is this a bad joke? Signature Solar creating specs requirements to avoid defective inverter costs?

That's pretty much the standard for any retailer, at least as far as stated policies go. Gone are the days of just bringing clothes back to a store with a tag on it and no receipt and getting a refund / store credit.
Not true. These switches are clearly defective, and Amazon's 30 day warranty is shameful.

I wish I still found going into a crowded store like Home Depot enjoyable, but between the driving, parking, and the boorish people everywhere, it's just not fun for me anymore.

It makes me sad in a way, and maybe it would be different in a small town, but the local shopping experience here in the greater Austin, TX area is really not world class.
Oh yeah, the crowds can be troublesome, the car can get dinged, you might get stuck behind someone who doesn't bathe regularly, but I also see people I've not met in a while, and the money 'tends' to circulate in the local economy. This is from someone who is rather introverted. Pros and cons.

I think we've wondered pretty far off topic. Hopefully the OP gets everything straightened out with SigSolar, and his system.

Not true. These switches are clearly defective, and Amazon's 30 day warranty is shameful.

It's not a warranty, it's a return policy. How long do you think they should offer a return policy for? Seems to me like the manufacturer of the product should warranty it, and the manufacturer should have to make it right, they made it, not Amazon.

It's not a warranty, it's a return policy. How long do you think they should offer a return policy for? Seems to me like the manufacturer of the product should warranty it, and the manufacturer should have to make it right, they made it, not Amazon.
It's a 30 day warranty!

It's a 30 day warranty!
Has California changed wording on something for Amazon? In Texas it shows up like below for me.

A return policy is even better than a warranty of the same length anyway, as you just get your money back with less nonsense generally.

Capture.JPG

It's a 30 day warranty!
It's a 30 day return window with no questions asked. It states that right on their page.
BTW it's 30 days from the day you receive it and the best part is that you are only required to hit return within the 30 day period.
The actual time they allow you to return it is months.
I bought a cheap $20 item and found out near the 30 day mark that it was defective. I called Amazon and asked them if it had to be back in their posession by the 30 day mark and she said no, just hit the return button and we will send you a shipping label. If you return it a month or two months from now, that is when you will get your refund. I think I returned it about 70 days after I had bought it. The minute the USPS tracking number went active i got a ding on my phone that the CC had been refunded.

Last edited:
It's a 30 day return window with no questions asked. It states that right on their page.
No, with these switches bought on Amazon, after 30 days, there is no recourse whatsoever, even with defective products. You're screwed. The total warranty period is 30 days. Why are you clouding the issue? Stop with the no questions asked return window, OK? People need to know that most of what Amazon sells has a 30 day warranty. That's it.

Last edited:
No, with these switches bought on Amazon, after 30 days, there is no recourse whatsoever, even with defective products. You're screwed. The total warranty period is 30 days. Why are you clouding the issue? Stop with the no questions asked return window, OK?

You bought switches from Amazon, with no manufacturer warranty, only a 30 day return policy from Amazon. Then you got mad when you didn't thoroughly test them out in time to decide whether to keep them or not within the 30 day return policy? You're blaming Amazon for this?

What switches are these? I would like to look at them on Amazon. Amazon makes it very easy to look up past purchases, so you should be able to find them.

No, with these switches bought on Amazon, after 30 days, there is no recourse whatsoever, even with defective products. You're screwed. The total warranty period is 30 days. Why are you clouding the issue? Stop with the no questions asked return window, OK? People need to know that most of what Amazon sells has a 30 day warranty. That's it.
So the company you bought it from did not offer a 1 year warranty?
I am not clouding anything. Amazon states that it is a 30 day RETURN WINDOW!!! IT IS NOT A WARRANTY.
The product does not need to be defective. You can return it because you do not like the color of it.
A warranty is for defective items!

Last edited:
Okay,

I see this discussion has derailed into something else.

I just wanted to give a final update as SS called me today and asked how they could make this right by me. I told them I was still waiting for the refund for a previous shipped disconnect - return started with a RMA and not related to the inverter but they had "mysteriously" forgotten about this RMA refund, until today.

They submitted the refund and we closed this chapter.

I have a bad taste but i am happy it is over.

It really sounds like diy is not for you. Most of these Chinese inverters will not pass an inspection and are not designed to do so. And the wiring template or diagram is in the manual of these devices. I feel like I'm the only person who reads the manuals these days. Nearly everything you need is in there.

Yes true about UL1741 with the SS inverter. I was told it was listed by SS over the phone. Found out it was the same certificate that the lv6548 had all along. They considered the certificate as a "listing" for TUV. So I changed my website and that video to call it an Offgrid inverter. Technically it can pass inspection with that certificate, but it is not on the CEC list for example. So it really depends on where you live.

I think anyone who is looking for an equipment vendor to make a template or diagram (beyond the manufacturer manual) for them, should probably not be building diy solar systems at all.
Thank you Will. I'm new to solar, but not electricity. When I first 'discovered' solar and before I discoved you, it was presented as easy peasy. It is, in the same way nuclear energy is simple, just get a few atoms and smash them. You can do it in your garage! YMMV.

The truth is that the end user, the DIY'er, bears a large part of the responsibility here. I have a new hobby. Reading silly (stupid?) questions on YT. Most of these people should not try DIY based on many of the questions asked, but I can only do it for a short time before I get a headache.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise with us. I hope you are well rewarded for your efforts. Keep up the good work.

RE
It is, in the same way nuclear energy is simple, just get a few atoms and smash them. You can do it in your garage! YMMV.”

Thankfully, it appears nobody is doing that yet.
Fingers crossed ??hopefully nobody starts.
Wcgw?

Update: after reading the posts below yes it’s probably naive to say “nobody” as I did above.

Last edited:
Expecting an equipment vendor to design anything is wild to me. When I buy a breadboard or microcontroller from an electronics distributor, I have never expected them to help me build a circuit.

I have no clue where people created this "support" expectation in a diy market. I have been part of diy drones, anamatronics, beam robotics and many others, and the solar crowd actually calls the distributors needing help. Why? I read the manual and find everything I need.

I think these vendors need to stop providing support. Leave it to the manufacturer or the manual to dictate how a product should be used. If it doesn't work as advertised or it is difficult to use, post a video on YouTube and show the world. These products are dead simple in my opinion. If there are hang ups, tell others.
I want to thank you Will, watching your vids over the last year have helped me pull the trigger on the parts I am getting, and I hope to start install within the next 2 months. Your vids have been a very valuable learning tool and I appreciate the large amount of different components you have tested.

Wow, that's terrible. It should be instantaneous. Within micro seconds.
Unless you are referring to generator startup delay.
Generator voltage and frequency need to stabilize out before the inverter switches. If it's not an inverter generator style. The RPMs the generator have to stabilize out within a range of voltage and frequency for it to switch over. Makes perfect sense if you want things to last.

Generator voltage and frequency need to stabilize out before the inverter switches. If it's not an inverter generator style. The RPMs the generator have to stabilize out within a range of voltage and frequency for it to switch over. Makes perfect sense if you want things to last.
That's why I said
"Unless you are referring to generator startup delay."

For me I have had to build out my offgrid capabilities over time as I am on a limited budget. But sometimes a custom home built setup can be fine tuned for your needs a little better.

Using a automatic transfer switch: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800758200229.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5a3c1802Oyr2aR (feel free to use a better and more expensive US model transfer switch if budget allows) I switch between grid and solar based on MY chosen parameters.
Currently I have it set up with a Raspberry Pi ($35 2Gig) using a voltage sense hat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254481075031?hash=item3b40410b57 and a relay board. I soldered a few mega-ohm resistors to make a voltage divider so the sense hat would work with the higher voltage of my PV and batteries. Using the relays to control this lets me switch to grid if my batteries fall below %80 (keeps high cycle life). The Pi lets me set start and stop voltages as well as switching to solar power early when PV power is strong.
Using a automatic transfer switch and a Pi with a little setup effort could for example allow you to transfer between the solar and generator. The Pi via relay could start the generator and transfer off solar after the generator is fully running. The Pi could also transfer back to solar on your own set parameters while still leaving the generator running for 2 min no load cooldown.
It would take some work and a little learning. But a custom setup may save money and give you what you need?

Back