diy solar

diy solar

Is this a crazy idea? Portable LiPo packs

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
I have three areas where I need battery power and what I currently have:

Travel Trailer....(2) 12v 110ah AGM in parallel (6 years old)
Tent Camping potable battery box....(1) 12v 100ah AGM (1 year old)
Electric Tractor.... I need 48V @ either 100 or 200ah (depending on cost)

I'm thinking to build 4 LiPo 12V 100 or 200ah battery packs and using them all together for the tractor and as pieces for the other applications.

Could I have a separate BMS on each 12v pack?

Could I use heavy duty Anderson connectors to make easy transfer?

What would be the downside of such an idea?

What is the upside in your estimation?

Thank you in advance for any comments.....

1., yes, if the BMS chosen has serial capabilities... make sure.
Yes, Anderson connectors are great for this. The 48v combiner needs to be setup to serialize the bank.
Down side would be irregular charge cycles of the most used batteries resulting in some charging irregularities, so rotate the batteries used.
Upside is lighter, and more robust batteries than agm can provide.

Could I simply use four 12V chargers to charge the batteries individually?

The 48v combiner needs to be setup to serialize the bank.
Not quite sure what this means.....I'm still getting my feet wet with LiPo technology

Another ?:
Could I use three AGM 12v batteries and one LiPo 12v battery to obtain my 48v for now, and add LiPo as funds allow?

.I'm still getting my feet wet with LiPo technology
Lipo technology is just one of the many Litium Ion chemistries out their. It is readily available at hobby shops and often used in RC toys because it is light weight. It is the most volitile and that is why hobby shops sell fire proof bags to charge them in.
LiFePO4 or LFP, as it is sometimes referred to, is much safer and still much lighter that AGMs. I think your plan sounds like a good one. You will need to wire up some Anderson adapter cables so you can use them in a 48 volt pack. You will need to consider using a BMS that can be put in serial with other BMSs if you want to charge them with 48 volt solar charge controller. That is what @Supervstech meant when he said, "serialized the bank". If that seems too complicated then you could charge them at 12 volts but you might have to disconnect them from your 48 volt system if your 12 volt chargers are not isolated.

thank you, i sometime get confused on the various Li nomenclatures.

i would go with separate chargers as I'd easily be able to isolate the various packs. and i'm thinking that 400ah of Li with all four packs in the travel trailer would be amazing. as long as I can keep them charged with 540w of solar. but on a three day weekend, I probably wouldn't need to charge them as I can nearly get by with just the 220ah (110ah usable) AGM

now i need to figure out if i can do this in stages......mixing the existing AGM batteries with one 12v Li pack for now in the tractor.

Could I simply use four 12V chargers to charge the batteries individually?

Not quite sure what this means.....I'm still getting my feet wet with LiPo technology

Another ?:
Could I use three AGM 12v batteries and one LiPo 12v battery to obtain my 48v for now, and add LiPo as funds allow?
No... just, no...
you could get the LiFePO4 12V and start replacing the 12V loads to it, and as you build up the funds, replace more 12V stuff...

Back