diy solar

diy solar

is this a good BMS,, it has some additional part and not sure what is needed?

carl2591

trying to set up 4s 3.2 v pack of 310 ah cells for use in RV

currently have 460 watts of 12v solar going to a SC-2030 30 amp PWM CC (bogart engineering) with the RV-2030TM monitor panel, and 335 watt panel of 24v solar on 20 amp MPPT 20 amp controller currently.. current battery pack is 2 -t-105 trojans 6v,, heavy as heck with lead packs.

was looking at this BMS for the new lithium pack going to install under couch inside a 30 ft airstream classic TT.

it mentions a bluetooth module, i guess you need that to have communication with a cell phone via bluetooth.

UART box,, not sure what that is or what it does.. is it needed?

also the GPRS module ?? what is that, what does it do and is it needed. ??

thanks..

EDIT: only large usage item is 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.14.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.14.19 AM.png
    569.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Bluetooth module is self explanatory of course.

UART is a protocol to allow a type of serial hardwired interface (alternative to bluetooth). The module would have a USB > UART interface on it that can allow a PC to connect to the BMS via wired connection.

GPRS module would allow a SIM card to be installed in it and connect over cellular on a mobile network (more for those truly remote installations)...

Have you looked at the OverKill BMS solutions? They are a well known BMS company, have stock in the US (no need for lengthy shipment waits), and could do all you want at a reasonable cost, and great customer support and warranty service... I have 2 OverKill 120a and I like them a lot for what they are... They have various size units, I went for the largest ones, the 120a, but can save money and get smaller if you don't need that much.

this like just like the overkill and i believe in reading other post they are the same manf.. time is on my side at this point.. don't need stuff till nov of this year.. sounds like i only need bluetooth and not the rest of the stuff. :) looking at the 120 Amp version for a 410 ah pack..

does the JBD SP045020 come with plug and wires to hook to battery terminals for balance or reading cells?? don't see them at overkill or on ali express..

Yeah, it will ship with the harness. You may have to put your own ring terminals on the cell-ends of the wires. Leave, or make the wires all the same length.

I used these ring terminals:

And I strip the wires with a little longer exposed, do a nice tight twist, and would fold them (like a Z), creasing the bends with my fingernail, use some pliers if necessary to pinch down the wire, but when I got it right, the wire fit just right in the connector so I could get a nice solid crimp.

How many times you fold the wire depends on the gauge they are and how loose they fit natively into the ring terminal. I'm just saying fold it 1, 2, or 3 times if needed (if it's real loose), to get a tighter fit before crimping. Just go slow and I put my reading glasses on and get plenty of light on what I'm doing.

I think you may find a 120a BMS a little small for a 1500 watt inverter at 12 volts. Won't like being at the edge, if your 120v loads are light you may be ok. I'm looking at 2 sets of 150-172 ah packs in parallel with two 120a bms to replace my GC's.....john

Well, theoretically, the 120a rating is continuous, I would say if he does run it by itself as single unit, make sure it has good ventilation around the BMS (air can circulate well around it, not put a box around it) so it can dissipate heat effectively.

I know I don't really trust BMSs deeply (I see them as single point of failure), so I recently bought spares of all my types to keep spare one for each bank in the faraday can, in case I had a failure, I can be back up and running in a few minutes, and not have to wait for China shipment or OverKill backorder, to get another one...

Last edited:
I know I don't really trust BMSs deeply (I see them as single point of failure), so I recently bought spares of all my types to keep spare one for each bank in the faraday can, in case I had a failure, I can be back up and running in a few minutes, and not have to wait for China shipment or OverKill backorder, to get another one...
Great call on this one! Keeping spares in a Faraday can! Safe redundancy.?

Back