diy solar

diy solar

Is this a good setup?

KMC

Hi

I'm just about to connect my solar cells to charger, inverter etc. but I'm not sure if this is a safe way (and the best) to do it with the devices I have available?
This is my gear:

24 Solar Cells:
Rated maximum power: 245W
Voltage at Pmp: 30.4V
Current at Pmp: 8.05A
Open-circuit voltage: 36.1V
Short-circuit current: 8.63A
Max. system voltage: 1000V
Max. Series fuse rating: 15A

Charge controller:
Epever 100a mppt Solar Charge Controller, 24v Auto Max 150V 7500W.

Battery:
48 volts 92 ah (4×12v)

Inverter:
Pure Sine Inverter 6000W Pure Sine Wave 48V to 220V

Breaker between solar cells and charger:
DC Circuit Breaker 1000V 2 Pole Double MCB Solar PV 63 Amp

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Epever charger.jpg
    Epever charger.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Solar Cells.jpg
    Solar Cells.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 13
  • solcells_connection.jpg
    solcells_connection.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
Four in series ~144VOC I think is too close to the SCC max voltage in cold weather
And 12year old batteries?

Last edited:
You just acted as someone's disposal service. They had to recycle those worn out batteries, and they sold them to you instead of paying a disposal fee. Likely they are trashed or close to trash.

Even when new, those are designed to backup telecom operations, meaning they were supposed to stay fully charged until there was a blackout, when they'd be expected to provide power for the duration. They are NOT off-grid cycling batteries.

Even if they were in great shape, they are far too small for your intended application. With 5880W of solar, likely to be putting ~100A in the real-world, you really need a 800-1000Ah battery to absorb that many amps.

With that many panels, what I would do is position an array or two facing East, a couple facing South, and one or two facing West. My arrays rotate, so I can just angle panels away from the sun if my amps exceed maximum. Then you could size the battery down in the 500-600Ah range.

You just acted as someone's disposal service. They had to recycle those worn out batteries, and they sold them to you instead of paying a disposal fee. Likely they are trashed or close to trash.

Even when new, those are designed to backup telecom operations, meaning they were supposed to stay fully charged until there was a blackout, when they'd be expected to provide power for the duration. They are NOT off-grid cycling batteries.

Even if they were in great shape, they are far too small for your intended application. With 5880W of solar, likely to be putting ~100A in the real-world, you really need a 800-1000Ah battery to absorb that many amps.

With that many panels, what I would do is position an array or two facing East, a couple facing South, and one or two facing West. My arrays rotate, so I can just angle panels away from the sun if my amps exceed maximum. Then you could size the battery down in the 500-600Ah range.
Ok. Makes sense. The seller of the batteries told me that they only was as backup for telecom as you said and never used. I thought these were perfect for the off-grid solar system but hey, that's learning by doing (or good advise from others ;-) )
I guess I'll just use these in my bunker :-D Anyway.. Since I didn't have so much cash left to my project at this point. Could I start with four of these batteries: 12v, 100ah (see attached)
and maybe only connect to batteries in parallel and two in series so it would be 200ah with 24 volts to a start and bye 4 more ect. until I get to 1000 ah?

Attachments

• batteri.png
    batteri.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
Back