diy solar

diy solar

Is this a good Solar Panel for CTC and my setup?

Rob Cameron

CTC conversion
Hi, I am putting together a 24V lithium system. I would really like some assistance from the people on here to help me decide on what solar panels to utilize. I don't have anything but the batteries at the moment. I have a cargo trailer conversion (CTC) that I want to put 4 (about 330W)solar panels on. I am looking at the following solar panels that are for sale locally that are used but in great shape and less than 2 years old. I like the fact that they are local and easy to procure/pick up. The panels are Hanwha QCells Tier 1 Solar Panels 335 Watts. Here are the specs:

(Q.ANTUM solar module Q.PLUS L-G4.2 335).
72 Q CELLS solar cells
Electrical Watts: (STC) 335 W
Max Power Voltage: (VMPP) 37.33 V
Max Power Current: (IMPP) 8.97 A
Open Circuit Voltage: (VOC) 46.81 V
Short Circuit Current: (ISC) 9.54 A
Max System Voltage: (UL) DC 1500 V
Mechanical Type: Polycrystalline
Dimensions: 78.50" x 39.40" x 1.38"
Weight: 52.90 lbs
Frame: Silver anodized aluminum
Connector: Junction Box

Price each is $150 and it looks like they pulled/bought them from a solar farm as they have a LOT of them. In looking at the prices for the same panel online, they look to go for $227 new. I had always been told that Monocrystalline is better than Polycrystalline.

Any help and assistance with understanding if these will work well for me would be appreciated!

Thank you VERY much for any input/guidance you can provide!

Attachments

• 275335487_4925186477572210_6534050092671612345_n.jpg
    275335487_4925186477572210_6534050092671612345_n.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
First decide what inverter will suit your needs. If you want an AIO (all in one), or separate pieces to put together. Once you settle on a SCC, then you can pick what panels are compatible.

First decide what inverter will suit your needs. If you want an AIO (all in one), or separate pieces to put together. Once you settle on a SCC, then you can pick what panels are compatible.
Ah, I thought I had to pick solar panels first (newbie here :)). I like the AIO, but I want to run lots of 12V items and I don't see any AIO's that have 12V regulated outputs. I have read a lot and am confused on which SCC/AIO's to go with. I looked at the MPPT AIO for 24V. I am sure the question will be asked. I am running 12V lights, 12V fan, 12V fridge, 12V water Pump, 12V Freezer, 12V power for laptop, cell phone, etc. Some AC devices, like small microwave, maybe a few 110V plug in items (lower wattage). The item that I may run a bit from solar (mostly during the day when it is hot) would be my 9K BTU mini-split. I was hoping to get about 2500-3000 Watt inverter that I could turn on when needed. I believe the AIO have it so you can do on demand 110V correct? Anyway, if you can point me to a good RE-starting point as I have fairly confused myself with reading and all kinds of info that I don't know where to start/turn, I would appreciate it. I had one person tell me that 12V system is better than 24V, but issue is MUCH larger wire is needed :). As a note, my Lithium batteries (8 of them) are CATL 271ah. Again, any help/thoughts are very appreciated!

Sorry, I thought that there was a resource and information area, but I can't seem to find it. And I am working today, so I don't have the time to go into detail. Hopefully, someone else will jump in, shortly.

Back