diy solar

diy solar

Is this a safe choice for a LiFePO4 charger?

Looks ok. Well, whaddya' know - it too has a 14.6v CV, just like an Iota IQ4 LFP module that everybody was going absolutely nutso about in another thread predicting the end of the world.

Well, I think you may be on the something Substrate! After looking back at Will's recommended charger I found this below!! And he even mentions the one I purchased!

Looks ok. Well, whaddya' know - it too has a 14.6v CV, just like an Iota IQ4 LFP module that everybody was going absolutely nutso about in another thread predicting the end of the world.

I wonder if it would be ok to instead get the 60 amp version of this? It was mentioned somewhere because my batteries had 100 A BMS's, I should limit my charge to under 50 amps. Anyone have any idea on this? Also if I parallel these, does that mean I can double the charge rate?

Last edited:
PowerMax PM3-55-LK > 55 Amp 12 Volt Converter / Charger

Hi Guys, I could really use some help choosing here. I'm looking to buy something tonight that won't hurt my 200 AH 12 volt Ampere Time batteries.

Can I leave this connected overnight or all day when I'm out?

NO, I have one and I would not BUY it again if I had to ...

q1 - how big is your battery? what are the cell specs?

my 100ah Littos I will charge them at 20A max rate and upto 14v.

q2 - what is your charging environment like?
for my ebikes I have waterproof charger (10a) that I can carry with me. For charging home while I light up a cigar, I use a benchtop power supply like RD-6018w and set the voltage and amps and charge away.

NO, I have one and I would not BUY it again if I had to ...

q1 - how big is your battery? what are the cell specs?

my 100ah Littos I will charge them at 20A max rate and upto 14v.

q2 - what is your charging environment like?
for my ebikes I have waterproof charger (10a) that I can carry with me. For charging home while I light up a cigar, I use a benchtop power supply like RD-6018w and set the voltage and amps and charge away.
Thanks! I ended up choosing a

Progressive Dynamics 45Amp LiFePO4 Converter Charger, from will's recommended chargers​

look the review I did,

1. 50 A current is too much and heated up my cells, unless you need to zap them fast, I would not
2. the high charge rate DROPS to chits after 30 mins

If I had to buy an charge I would look at meanwell 2 stage chargers,

Thanks! I ended up choosing a

Progressive Dynamics 45Amp LiFePO4 Converter Charger, from will's recommended chargers​

I am looking forward to your review of this item :)

I, personally, like a 2 stage charger, one that I can set the MAX voltage - required
Option - charge current, if I can set this, I am golden.

Riden bench tops are hard to beat in that regard. next inline are the meanwells,

Sorry, here ya go
review

wow, 50 cycles? burned out? fuse?
It was the 30amps@24 volts unit.
The best it ever did was 25amps.
I considered it dead when all it could muster is 10amps.
Powermax then sent me a replacement unit that was DOA.
The voltage trim pot was absolutely mangled.
Since the trim pot is protected by the converter chassis I find it very improbable that the damage was due to shipping.
Then they sent me a 50 amp unit that pull >16 amps through a nema 5-15 plug, that was the end of my relationship with Powermax.
I would think a converter would be considered a continuous use appliance and therefore the 80% rule should apply.
For those unfamiliar with the 80% rule a continuous use appliance with a nema 5-15 plug should only use 80% of 15 amps which is 12 amps.

FWIW, the Powermax is shown as UL listed, but based on reviews I'll still shy away.

FWIW, the Powermax is shown as UL listed, but based on reviews I'll still shy away.
Where do you see that it is UL listed?
I wonder how they could get an appliance that draws >16 amps through a nema 5-15 plug listed.

UPDATE: The high current ones are not UL listed. Got it straight from the horse's mouth.

Back