diy solar

diy solar

Is this gonna be a problem?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So I ordered some 230 amp hour cell and there was some miscommunication.. I was showed a video of the screw in terminals which, in the video had a flat area with a tapped hole allowing you to use the entire surface area of the battery pad

However, what arrived was a terminal significantly smaller that is welded to the pad with significantly less surface area

It makes me wonder if this is going to be a problem I plan to build two for US Banks and would like to be able to pull up to 200 amps from each Bank

Don't know if this is going to work

Attachments

• received_411543803994405.jpeg
    received_411543803994405.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The surface area that you have isn't much different (from the photo at least) than what folks are getting with the welded studs. It's different, but it isn't bad.

If you wanted a whole lot more surface area contact, maybe you could make some bus bars that have holes big enough that they slide right over the top of that terminal. The bus bar would have to be rather thick as the top of it would have to be above the surface of the terminal. The downside is that there would be no room for the bus bar to move should there be movement of the cell. A good compression fixture should eliminate movement though.

So I ordered some 230 amp hour cell and there was some miscommunication.. I was showed a video of the screw in terminals which, in the video had a flat area with a tapped hole allowing you to use the entire surface area of the battery pad

However, what arrived was a terminal significantly smaller that is welded to the pad with significantly less surface area

It makes me wonder if this is going to be a problem I plan to build two for US Banks and would like to be able to pull up to 200 amps from each Bank

Don't know if this is going to work

It'll work, but I'm guessing you're not actually going to pull 200A continuous, right? If your average is under 100A, and your pulses of 200A are on the order of minutes and not hours, then you should be fine.

If you really want to delve into the numbers, then you'll need to figure out the surface area you actually have, which will be able to give you a resistance between the terminal and your bus bar. Once you have that you can figure out the heat generated and determine if it's going to get too hot for the cell, bus bars, or environment, or if the energy lost is too great for your application.

Even at 200A, though, the loss is going to be very small - I'd guess under 0.2%. It can still be a substantial amount of heat, but out of 230AH you're losing, perhaps, 0.46AH due to these connections over the whole battery.

Back