diy solar

diy solar

Is this normal condition for a 'new' multiplus 24/3000/70-16 inverter?

Solarfun4jim

Solar seduced :-)
@Justin Laureltec

scorched terminal.jpgScrew mark..jpg

HELP...
Having just purchased a 'new' Victron multiplus inverter, i immediately noticed on opening it up that there is a scorch(arc) mark on a positive battery terminal plus it appears to have already been mounted to a fixture, going by the screw mark on the casing. Is this normal from 'factory testing', or have i been conned by an unscrupulous dealer? (see photos attached)
Appreciate any opinions offered.

Those are both evidence of prior connection to a battery and mounting. My two Quattros showed no evidence of prior use.

Those are both evidence of prior connection to a battery and mounting. My two Quattros showed no evidence of prior use.
Thanks...thats what i thought. The packaging looked ok, so i thought it might be from bench testing each unit at the factory, but if yours didnt have these marks...well looks like i have a battle with the supplier now. :-(

Thanks...thats what i thought. The packaging looked ok, so i thought it might be from bench testing each unit at the factory, but if yours didnt have these marks...well looks like i have a battle with the supplier now. :-(
Who is the supplier?

Not normal. If you have a receipt for a new inverter, ask for a new one.

I’d actually be more concerned about buying from someone that doesn’t understand the use of a precharge circuit.

Don't they likely do some sort of Quality Control / Batch Testing? Maybe you just got the one out of the batch they tested?

QC, more than likely done. Damaging a unit by dead connecting it to the DC supply and then putting it back in the box and pretending nothing happened? Snow flakes in hell have a better chance, at least from my experience with the condition of new out of the box Victron items. I mostly handle their SCCs not inverters etc but to date I've not seen any sort of damage at all, not even a scratch in the plastic.

It's moot anyway, Victron has advised the condition of the unit is not acceptable, on their community forum.

One of my Quattros looked like this:

1603228690720.png

1603228740405.png

There was NO evidence of damage to the box, and the packing was perfect. I suspect a packaging person dropped it and packaged it to cover their butt.

Even quality companies have the occasional turd.

Replaced without incident. All costs covered.

But the terminals and mounting hold showed no signs of ever being installed... :)

What gets me, is that the packaging did not look tampered with in the slightest. It even had the clear plastic bag over it(inside the carton). The company has asked for the serial number and are investigating at this point. I await further comment from them.
Strangely though, there was a pink 250A megafuse in the instruction manual bag, which i was not expecting. Not sure if this is usual, as i had thought it needed a 300A fuse in a datasheet recommendation??

What gets me, is that the packaging did not look tampered with in the slightest. It even had the clear plastic bag over it(inside the carton). The company has asked for the serial number and are investigating at this point. I await further comment from them.
Strangely though, there was a pink 250A megafuse in the instruction manual bag, which i was not expecting. Not sure if this is usual, as i had thought it needed a 300A fuse in a datasheet recommendation??
Are mega fuses common on your side of the pond?
Cause you are the only person I can remember ever mentioning them.

Just for interest...
I have taken a picture of the items i have sourced for my winter 'bus to camper conversion' project. I've still to to fund a Victron SCC, but i'm getting there. :)
I also opted for 2x 370W longi HiMo4 Black Framed Split Cell Mono (white backsheet) from a UK supplier.

Parts.jpg

Last edited:
Back