diy solar

diy solar

Is this panel too large for the Jackery 500?

dlt123me

I initially posted this question in the wrong forum section so I am reposting here in the Beginners Corner, which I think is the correct section...

I'm getting a Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500. I also want to get a solar panel for it. I was initially thinking of getting two 100 Watt panels and linking them parallel, but when I go camping, I would have to lug around two panels. I would rather just have to take one panel.

Would this HQST 175 Watt panel be too much input power and damage my 500?... Or does the internal circuitry of the Jackery protect and limit the input... The output voltage is within the range that the Jackery will accept, my only concern is the Amp output.

Here are the stats of the panel...

HQST-175D.jpg

Here are the input specs from their manual on the Jackery 500...

Input.jpg

I appreciate any feedback.
Denniis

I am closing this thread out. Since I have received no feedback, I suspect I have posted this in the wrong forum section. I tried to figure out how to delete this thread, but couldn't. I am new to Solar stuff... :rolleyes: I will repost this in the Beginners Corner.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks all.
Dennis
That 170 watt panel will be fine on a 500 Jackery.
The Voc is under 30V and the amps will be throttled to 3.5A.

Parrallel connecting 2 100w panels will give you about 11A.
The 170w is 8.6A
Both are more than 3.5A and will be clipped.

But do you realize how big a 170w is compared to a 100w panel?

Last edited:
Should be fine, but I would go with on of the 100W panels. The charge controller won't use the extra current, so you'll get about 3.5A*20V = 70W of charging.

You'll need:

Should be fine, but I would go with on of the 100W panels. The charge controller won't use the extra current, so you'll get about 3.5A*20V = 70W of charging.

You'll need:

Thank you for responding... I was wondering if/hoping that the charge controller would dumb down the panel input... I'm fine with that as long as I don't damage the Jackery 500. I already bought the JoinWin 8mm adapter since I was initially going to purchase two 100 Watt panels, but I would like to just buy one panel. I am also considering eventually getting a Bluetti1000 Watt generator, so the 175 Watt panel would be an easy lateral move to the Bluetti1000 and still work on my Jackery 500... Right? ?

Thanks again...

I initially posted this question in the wrong forum section so I am reposting here in the Beginners Corner, which I think is the correct section...

I'm getting a Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500. I also want to get a solar panel for it. I was initially thinking of getting two 100 Watt panels and linking them parallel, but when I go camping, I would have to lug around two panels. I would rather just have to take one panel.

Would this HQST 175 Watt panel be too much input power and damage my 500?... Or does the internal circuitry of the Jackery protect and limit the input... The output voltage is within the range that the Jackery will accept, my only concern is the Amp output.

Here are the stats of the panel...

HQST-175D.jpg

Here are the input specs from their manual on the Jackery 500...

Input.jpg

I appreciate any feedback.
Denniis
NOT REPOST QUESTIONS!

If you or anyone wishes a thread be placed in a different forum, hit the report button, and a mod will move it.
Duplicate questions lead to mass confusion and lost answers. Keep it all together!

NOT REPOST QUESTIONS!

If you or anyone wishes a thread be placed in a different forum, hit the report button, and a mod will move it.
Duplicate questions lead to mass confusion and lost answers. Keep it all together!

I will do that in the other posting... Oops, looks like you beat me to it... Thanks.
Dennis

That 170 watt panel will be fine on a 500 Jackery.
The Voc is under 30V and the amps will be throttled to 3.5A.

Parrallel connecting 2 100w panels will give you about 11A.
The 170w is 8.6A
Both are more than 3.5A and will be clipped.

But do you realize how big a 170w is compared to a 100w panel?

Yes, I see that the 170 Watt is considerably larger, and might make a difference in storage and handling. In fact, since I will use my car, the 170W would be a touch too long to fit in my backseat, so it looks like the 100W is the winner.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back