diy solar

diy solar

Is this particular DC Circuit Breaker OK for my 600w series setup?

kenkoh

Solar Enthusiast

Attachments

• DC.jpg
    DC.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 48
Your system is grounded dc input. They all get 'grounded' but your pv line should not have a break in the negative side. Single pole breaker there. Some high voltage pv breakers have 2 poles but they have a bus on one side.

@kenkoh, the specs look okay but the manufacturer is unknown... it might perform to spec but it might not, and it's not a place you want a failure -not that there's any place you want a failure.

If I were you, I'd go name-brand and get the known-excellent MidNite Solar MNEPV breakers that are designed for this, like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MidNite-So...keywords=midnite+solar&qid=1581366827&sr=8-26
(not sure if that's the right model for your current rating, but it's getting you into the right direction at least).
I know they cost a lot more, but there's a reason for that, and what you spend more up front will be swiftly repaid in peace of mind.

@kenkoh, the specs look okay but the manufacturer is unknown... it might perform to spec but it might not, and it's not a place you want a failure -not that there's any place you want a failure.

If I were you, I'd go name-brand and get the known-excellent MidNite Solar MNEPV breakers that are designed for this, like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MidNite-So...keywords=midnite+solar&qid=1581366827&sr=8-26
(not sure if that's the right model for your current rating, but it's getting you into the right direction at least).
I know they cost a lot more, but there's a reason for that, and what you spend more up front will be swiftly repaid in peace of mind.
Whoa that is pricey but I'll take it if nothing else. Thank you!

Whoa that is pricey but I'll take it if nothing else. Thank you!
Yeahhhhh they're not cheap. Just make sure that you size appropriately to your installation; I see 6 panels in series, but without specs on the panels I can't confirm whether the 150vDC / 12A breaker I pointed to is appropriate. The 12A part is likely fine, and since you appear to be showing a Victron 150/60 MPPT I'll assume that you're well under 150vDC, but of course just check all that.

I do not see the need to spend $100.00 for a circuit breaker for your system the one you have shown will be quite fine for personal use.

I dont blame Justin for recommending an expensive breaker if he has to warranty and install it.But this is after all a DIY forum. I have at least a dozen of the MCB's that you shown (not that brand though Caveat Emptor) and have no issues. I have tripped them many times when they should of tripped.

I would glad to post any sort of test anybody wants to make up to try.

Your system is grounded dc input. They all get 'grounded' but your pv line should not have a break in the negative side. Single pole breaker there. Some high voltage pv breakers have 2 poles but they have a bus on one side.
is it should not have a break in the line or is it does not need. There is a difference.
We are all trying to learn here.

Last edited:
I do not see the need to spend $100.00 for a circuit breaker for your system the one you have shown will be quite fine for personal use.

I dont blame Justin for recommending an expensive breaker if he has to warranty and install it.But this is after all a DIY forum. I have at least a dozen of the MCB's that you shown (not that brand though Caveat Emptor) and have no issues. I have tripped them many times when they should of tripped.

I would glad to post any sort of test anybody wants to make up to try.
I see your point @Craig; being an industry professional I literally cannot recommend that anyone use off-brand breakers or fuses for anything, ever, particularly given the failures I've seen of a number of off-brand breakers and fuses. Same thing with a lot of other components... I can say that I've seen certain things work, but I am forbidden from recommending anything that goes against manufacturer-supported components/techniques/etc.
That being said, I've also seen people successfully using them without issue, so *shrug* I can only offer the advice I'm allowed to, with safety concerns noted if I see them, and otherwise of course everyone's free to do as they will.

...for the record, that's not our listing that I pointed to. Those breakers only cost about $13.50 US, I have no idea why they cost so much in the UK.

Yeahhhhh they're not cheap. Just make sure that you size appropriately to your installation; I see 6 panels in series, but without specs on the panels I can't confirm whether the 150vDC / 12A breaker I pointed to is appropriate. The 12A part is likely fine, and since you appear to be showing a Victron 150/60 MPPT I'll assume that you're well under 150vDC, but of course just check all that.
6x Richsolar 100w as per WP recommendation

I see your point @Craig; being an industry professional I literally cannot recommend that anyone use off-brand breakers or fuses for anything, ever, particularly given the failures I've seen of a number of off-brand breakers and fuses. Same thing with a lot of other components... I can say that I've seen certain things work, but I am forbidden from recommending anything that goes against manufacturer-supported components/techniques/etc.
That being said, I've also seen people successfully using them without issue, so *shrug* I can only offer the advice I'm allowed to, with safety concerns noted if I see them, and otherwise of course everyone's free to do as they will.

...for the record, that's not our listing that I pointed to. Those breakers only cost about $13.50 US, I have no idea why they cost so much in the UK.
Absolutely Justin I get it I would not want you to recommend anything at all that could get you in trouble down the road. Also if Ii purchased a package from you and you installed it I would expect you to use top quality components. However as a DIY er I dont mind taking a chance on something that seems like it will reasonably work well. Of course the first thing I did when I got an unknown breaker is test it to make sure it tripped where it was supposed to.

I'm a firm believer of "Trust but Verify"

Absolutely Justin I get it I would not want you to recommend anything at all that could get you in trouble down the road. Also if Ii purchased a package from you and you installed it I would expect you to use top quality components. However as a DIY er I dont mind taking a chance on something that seems like it will reasonably work well. Of course the first thing I did when I got an unknown breaker is test it to make sure it tripped where it was supposed to.

I'm a firm believer of "Trust but Verify"
An mnepv 15 or mnepv 20 is only like $11

Altestore has them for $12
A baby box holds 4 single pole din mount breakers for 30$

Really going to have to start all these with;
Is this a hobby project or are you planning on installing it in or on your building.....?

How much cheaper does someone want the safety equipment?

There are three ways of doing things the

is it should not have a break in the line or is it does not need. There is a difference.
We are all trying to learn here.
The negative side is the grounded conductor. Ground fault detection amd proper overcurrent and ground fault circuit interruption requires a low resistance ground path.

Dont open the negative for the same reason you do not switch neutral, it is the grounded conductor amd safe oleration relies on it.

this HTML class. Value is https://iaeimagazine

I dont know why i can rarely get a link in....

Hello, I am new here and plan to build a PV system in my van. I start with a stupid question ... What is the job of this DC-Braeker? Some people say it is cut for "backflow" ?! but I'm going to use an MPPT, how can I get a "reverse current"? And if I have a short circuit at the DC input of the MPPT or in connection with the solar cell, the current is not more than 5-6 amps. so the DC Braeker would never trigger.
many thanks for your help

Back