diy solar

diy solar

Is this Sol-Ark setup possible?

We just upgraded to the Sol Ark 15 and it is amazing. Ended up doing most of the project myself and hired an electrician to make the big wire connections. In my opinion there is nothing like the Sol Ark. And yes it does everything you ask. We use 50-60 kWh per day and it powers our entire house. We have 13.2 kW of array.

We just upgraded to the Sol Ark 15 and it is amazing. Ended up doing most of the project myself and hired an electrician to make the big wire connections. In my opinion there is nothing like the Sol Ark. And yes it does everything you ask. We use 50-60 kWh per day and it powers our entire house. We have 13.2 kW of array.
Another vote here for Sol-Ark 12k or 15k.
Amazing product despite a bit of a learning
curve on the newest model. Nothing else out
there can compete at any price.

From Will's website: I will BOLD his comment below about "only one device can do it" (what the OP said about the Sol-Ark/Will Prowse)
(Also included in his sidebar a picture of the Sol-Ark - here is the link to this page in his website: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/code-compliant-48v-offgrid-system.html)

"A typical DIY offgrid system can be fantastic for running a cabin or RV. But if you wish to also be connected to grid, and/or backfeed the grid with excess power that your system creates, you need to spend some money and get the right product for the job. You will need a UL listed device that can do everything. Currently, there is only one device on the market that does this. You can pass inspection with this unit virtually anywhere on earth, and it is very powerful."

I have just recently installed a system in Texas that does exactly what you want.
The system is:
2x 12KW sol-ark's
2x 30KW LifePo4 batteries with 2xJK BMS's (i built them)
22 KW PV south-facing roof

The Sol-ark's running in parallel, and batteries are in parallel as well.
House runs all day on solar power and recharges the batteries, at night runs the whole house just on the batteries. The grid is only for a backup, if the grid goes down, there is also a whole house generator controlled through the Sol-ark.
Still having so much extra power, I helped the customer to fill out a net-metering agreement and sell the extra power for cloudy days.
The house has 2 AC units, 3 water heaters, 2 wells, a barn, an extra garage, etc.

Good luck!
What settings did you use to run off batteries at night?

What settings did you use to run off batteries at night?
I will let the OP directly answer that question, but I used the TOU settings in the SolArk. Previously I used self consumption mode in an Outback Skybox to accomplish the same thing. If interested I can post my specific SolArk settings?
It should be noted that since my earlier postings on this thread, I have replaced my Outback Skybox with a SolArk 12k.

Last edited:
I will let the OP directly answer that question, but I used the TOU settings in the SolArk. Previously I used self consumption mode in an Outback Skybox to accomplish the same thing. If interested I can post my specific SolArk settings?
It should be noted that since my earlier postings on this thread, I have replaced my Outback Skybox with a SolArk 12k.
That would be helpful. I’ve just turned my system on. I want to pull from the batteries at night but it’s pulling from the grid.

Can’t sell back to utility.

That would be helpful. I’ve just turned my system on. I want to pull from the batteries at night but it’s pulling from the grid.

Can’t sell back to utility.
This is what I’m running tonight. 0100-0500 on grid charging batteries. Rest of day on PV and Batteries. Limited to home mode.

Attachments

• 2851B56D-AF74-448A-B55C-DA8BE1960892.png
    2851B56D-AF74-448A-B55C-DA8BE1960892.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 679303C1-7377-47B1-8BFA-78ABBAF0EABB.png
    679303C1-7377-47B1-8BFA-78ABBAF0EABB.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 13
This is what I’m running tonight. 0100-0500 on grid charging batteries. Rest of day on PV and Batteries. Limited to home mode.
Thanks! Sol-ark tech support just clef me back and pointed me in the right direction. Running off my battery bank right now (6:44pm.)

Here are my settings. Glad SolArk got you going. Mine include selling so you will have to uncheck the sell boxes. My high rate TOU periods are from 15:00 to 00:00. I was having trouble entering 00:00 so I had the earlier one stop at 23.55.

Attachments

• PXL_20230107_024504720.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20230107_024504720.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 22
Back