diy solar

diy solar

Is WIND viable?

burgerking

I live in the tropics, will you recommend going Wind knowing full well it is mostly long sunny days all year round?
Likewise Wind Turbines costs x5 more.

I could not jog my brain to think viability.

Wind turbines do not scale down well.
If they are very big they work great, if they are very small they suck.
I know several people in the surrounding area that have them and most of the time they are barely spinning. I think spending the money on more panels or batteries is a better option.

Likewise Wind Turbines costs x5 more.
More than what? I see power purchase agreements for wind farms at competitive rates with solar wind farms. They are more cost effective in Denmark and Germany who are not in the tropics. Part of that competitive advantage is that they can sell power outside the normal daytime period that solar is limited to.

More than what?
Context: Residential

I mean Wind Turbines cost than solar panels.
Where I live, 500W Solar Panels costs less than $200 while two pieces of 5KW wind turbines, with mounting posts, costs $19,000.

For that amount, I could have a complete set of 12KW Inverter + 16KW panels + 30KWH battery + accessories

Jog it, dude.
I tried, but could not find the logic how wind turbines could be an alternative to solar in my place.

Wind is a fickle bitch in most cases. I'll probably put something up eventually for some very limited backup to solar. Our area can be CRAZY windy, but the annual average is only about 10-12mph. There's a local supplier that could install a complete HAWT system including 24' pole for about $2,500. Figure 80W 24/7 average = 700kWh/year - about what I get out of 400W of solar panels for my area.

Given the gusty-ness, I'm inclined to look at VAWT, but for the life of me, I can't find anything that instills any confidence.

my 2 cents is that indeed one has to go quite large in order to get anything out of them.
I used
to see what is to be expected.

The home use industry is plagued with scams and it taints the field with a bad reputation.

Best hope is to DIY a large one. Only then costs vs elec production can get anywhere reasonable.
The only issue with DIY is that it takes a lot of trail and error if going from scratch. That will offset the return of investment.
Fear not though. I am taking those hits for us. Once I am done it could be copy paste ;)

Back