diy solar

diy solar

Is wiring the AC ground to the DC negative a thing?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
I have a inverter in a truck. As I wire it all up I wonder if wiring the AC ground to the DC negative will work?

Can you be more specific about what you mean (maybe draw a simple diagram)? Also what inverter are you using and do you have a link to the documentation?

From what I recall you are pursuing a fairly unorthodox system.

Often the ground lug on your inverter case gets connected to DC negative. But as with anything in the realm of safety and grounding--particularly AC--you'll want to be damn sure you know its right before doing it, or find a professional to either do the work or check your work.

Can you be more specific about what you mean (maybe draw a simple diagram)? Also what inverter are you using and do you have a link to the documentation?

There is a bolt coming out the bottom with 2 nuts & 2 washers. Pretty sure its a ground. I have distribution block that's negative goes to the battery negative & the frame.

From what I recall you are pursuing a fairly unorthodox system.
Not really. Trying to use my truck as a generator. Bought a product to do it but it didn't work & didn't have enough power. I'm fixing it, buffing it & adding options. There are a few applications that make the upgrades no big deal. Trying to DIY things like cable harness to upgrade to 4/0 wire under the hood are challenging. But its all stuff for big stereos, lights etc.

Often the ground lug on your inverter case gets connected to DC negative
Bet thats it. I guess I worded the question incorrectly. Just assumed it was a AC thing. Its just the ground for the case. I wasn't talking about the AC output ground. So, oops. But you got it anyhow! :) TY!

But as with anything in the realm of safety and grounding--particularly AC--you'll want to be damn sure you know its right before doing it, or find a professional to either do the work or check your work.
This is my 4 system install. Full 12v RV solar, wind turbine, 48v home solar & now this gizmo. Wired more nightclubs than I remember & was a lighting maintenance guy for awhile. Build full racing drone packages & sold them on ebay. I am pretty much pro lite.

Never had a issue with anything I've wired. Had a issue with a generator ruining my life but that was not my wire job, don't know what it was. But it was not my wiring that for sure as all I did was plug in the generator, no wiring involved.

Back