diy solar

diy solar

Isolating/Charging Lithium from Alternator

GrizzlyBarrie

Hey everyone,

New to solar so excuse me if I'm asking anything super obvious. I'm an industrial electrician so I have some experience but not with this stuff.

I'm putting together a system for an 18' Camper Trailer. I have bought everything and just waiting for it to show up and I will start to put it together. So far I have bought:

-12V 100Ah Deep Cycle LiFePo4 x2 from Alberta Lithium
-EPEVER MPPT 40A Solar Charge Controller
-12V Renogy 100W MonoCrys Panel x2
-Giandel 2200W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
-30A ATS from GoPower

I have a fairly good idea on how to set everything up (Lots of video research) but where I'm struggling is how to integrate the alternator charging from the 7 pin connector. I know that there is potential to damage the alternator on my truck with the lithium batteries. Should I have bought a DC to DC charger rather than a solar controller? Is there a different way to isolate the batteries? Is it worth it to have alternator charging in the end?

I can't seem to find an answer to this that makes sense, so if anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

It’s best to use a dc to dc charger. It’s handy to be able to charge while you are driving. The 7 pin can’t take to much amperage maybe 30 amps max. The vehicle itself my be more limited than that.

Back