diy solar

diy solar

Issue with charge controller and BMS and LED lights

Nomad666

I think I have a PWM charge controller as I am having trouble with LED lights flickering and my CB and VHF radios shut down cuz of this it was supposed to be MPPT controller but I dont think that is the case any help or suggestions as to what to get for a reliable and smooth charging with no flicker that will not kill my radios?

Bill

Could you provide some more details of your system? I'm not sure yet how your PWM charge controller would impact your LEDs and radios.

Let's start with: Are the LEDs and radios connected directly to the battery bank, or coming off the load terminals of the charge controller, or powered via an inverter?

I have a van that I just converted from conventional flooded batteries to 280 ah LiFePO4 with bms with everything going to and out from the fusebox PWM Solar is going in at the fusebox then to the battery/BMS radios and led lights are direct to the fusebox when BMS turns off due to being fully charged then the led lights flicker and the radios die on me I am thinking if I get an MPPT charge controller that this will fix the problem..
I guess I am wondering if it will work or if something else is at play here LiFePO4 is new to me and am just wondering if this is just one of them learning experiences with this new system.
if this is just the way it is and I have to live with it so be it but I cant see LiFePO4 having a long life on the market if their are these kinds of problems with the setup...

I'm struggling to figure out so far how your charge controller could be playing a role in what you're seeing.

You say the BMS turns off due to being fully charged...
  1. Is this a battery you built?
  2. If yes to #1, did you top balance the pack?
  3. If yes to #1, what BMS do you have?
  4. What PWM charge controller do you have?
  5. What are the charge profile settings for it?
Ideally your BMS shouldn't be terminating the charging of the battery bank of a well-balanced pack if you have your charge controller settings programmed appropriately. Right now I'm wondering if the BMS terminating charging is affecting the load output as well, leading to the flickering.

I fixed the issue bought an MPPT charge controller all problems are gone....
I have a similar probllem but have an MPPT 40amp Charge Controller. LED lights flicker at times. flicker lasts about 5 seconds. Some LED lights flicker more than others. I wonder if it has any thing to do with DIMMABLE LEDS and NON-DIMMABLE LEDS?

Back