diy solar

diy solar

It could be all about how big and tall it is..

NwCali

Solar Enthusiast

My terrain is verticle and I do have one spot that is nearly on top (200 feet MSL) and sunken in. I'd throw around (in my head) about letting it fill with water and then letting it go down to a turbine (reservoir ya know)..But not only is that complicated I'd never make it thru the paperwork for such a thing here.. I'd also wondered why no one had tried using gravity to store energy. (same concept actually) I've flow heli's, ran cranes, been a iron worker/millwright.... so using a electric motor to pull up a weight during high sun days and then using gravity to turn the same motor (as a Generator then though) to make electricity back seemed...reasonable (albeit I like the water idea as well)...as it rains a LOT here... Then you don't spend electricity to gain it back. :)

so, I came across the above article about a week ago. I'm not sure why just plain ol dirt wouldn't work for the weight. Outside of maybe bearings wearing out and cable it would seem usable a long long long time (to me).

Just thought I'd share the article and all, have a good memorial day, remember, some gave all, all gave some, and not just the dead need apply for giving too much.

I haven't looked into those types of storage, but I think I would rather do a flywheel instead. A gravity system seems like it could take up a good amount of real estate and that's a lot of kinetic force that could fail.

Pumped hydro and compressed air, are the only alternative storage options that I would consider.

Back