diy solar

diy solar

IT LIVES! 24v 200Ah 3000watt Solar Battery/UPS

Kodack

3000watt Growatt Solar Inverter 24v with 80A MPPT charger.
2x Amperetime 200Ah LFP batteries for 24v with 4800Wh of capacity
One huge wheeled storage organizer box.

This is my first time building anything like this. I'd never even used a hydraulic crimper or clamp meter before so everything was something new. I thoroughly thought out the build before I ordered any parts so I would have everything I needed ,and I actually had everything I needed, which was surprising.

I had hoped to put the 2 batteries side by side in the bottom of the storage bin but they are too wide so I unfortunately had to stack them. Because of this, I'm re-thinking my permanent design. I don't know where the BMS is on these batteries but I assume it's on the top, so I want the top clear. I may end up just mounting this to the wall and using a battery stand instead of making it portable.

For now though, I got everthing set up and I've tested everything but the battery capacity and PV charging. BTW I don't recommend upping the AC charge current to 60 amps, it will do it but I tripped the breaker in my office with my PC on and had no problems at 30 amps.

Speaking of charging, it's advertised as 80amp MPPT but the instructions say it can go up to 140 amp.

The big test was after charging the batteries a few hours, to see if it would run my 12000BTU window AC unit. It was using 6 amps without the compressor, just the fan blowing, the compressor kicked on and my clamp isn't fast enough to see inrush but it had no problems, and settled at 30amp draw at the battery side. Not too bad at all. The batteries are 200Ah but only have 100Ah BMS so I am glad I'm well under 100AMPS of pull with the AC. I should be able to run lower loads like my pc, some lights, refrigerator, for some time off 4800 watt hours.

gro 7.jpggro 6.jpggro 5.jpggro 4.jpg

That clean hex crimp
gro 3.jpg

First power on
gro 2.jpg

Lid on, screwed down, ready to move
gro1.jpg

32 AMP draw running my 12000 BTU window air conditioner

gro air conditioner amps.jpg

Nice.
Does Growatt come with PC interface to control it.
BTW, charging at 26 ~ 27V 60A will draw >1700W from the 15A outlet (1800W), you can plug the Growatt into the Kill-A- Watt to see how much power it draws from the outley when charging the batteries.
I have MPP Solar, I plug my into surge protector outlet strip with circuit breaker and power switch so I can easily kill the AC power to my MPP Solar.

It came with a USB cable and software on a mini cd (which I can't use) but I haven't checked out that side of it yet. It also came with what looks like a serial port cable. Probably used for split phase or something.

I ordered a killawat and a clamp probe splitter for AC so I can measure the current. My plan is to have a 20 amp circuit added by an electrician and use it to power my AC but also to charge my setup until I get permission from the HOA to put some panels up.

Nice . Good job

Hey is that the kline CL390? How many digits right of the decimal will it read for dc voltage? Will it read 3.654?

00.00 at 40AMP
I just ran out to Home Depot and bought one. This thing is pretty sweet. Real Beefy. And I have tested it against 2 other meters I have as well as my bench top power supply. Seems pretty accurate. Wondering, did yours include the rear magnet or is that an additional extra?

Yeah not all the meters I looked at would do DC amps, or do DC amps high enough for our use case. It seems like a good tool but mine is the 380 not 390. Don't know the difference between them.

3000watt Growatt Solar Inverter 24v with 80A MPPT charger.
2x Amperetime 200Ah LFP batteries for 24v with 4800Wh of capacity
One huge wheeled storage organizer box.

This is my first time building anything like this. I'd never even used a hydraulic crimper or clamp meter before so everything was something new. I thoroughly thought out the build before I ordered any parts so I would have everything I needed ,and I actually had everything I needed, which was surprising.

I had hoped to put the 2 batteries side by side in the bottom of the storage bin but they are too wide so I unfortunately had to stack them. Because of this, I'm re-thinking my permanent design. I don't know where the BMS is on these batteries but I assume it's on the top, so I want the top clear. I may end up just mounting this to the wall and using a battery stand instead of making it portable.

For now though, I got everthing set up and I've tested everything but the battery capacity and PV charging. BTW I don't recommend upping the AC charge current to 60 amps, it will do it but I tripped the breaker in my office with my PC on and had no problems at 30 amps.

Speaking of charging, it's advertised as 80amp MPPT but the instructions say it can go up to 140 amp.

The big test was after charging the batteries a few hours, to see if it would run my 12000BTU window AC unit. It was using 6 amps without the compressor, just the fan blowing, the compressor kicked on and my clamp isn't fast enough to see inrush but it had no problems, and settled at 30amp draw at the battery side. Not too bad at all. The batteries are 200Ah but only have 100Ah BMS so I am glad I'm well under 100AMPS of pull with the AC. I should be able to run lower loads like my pc, some lights, refrigerator, for some time off 4800 watt hours.

View attachment 41961View attachment 41962View attachment 41963View attachment 41964

That clean hex crimp
View attachment 41965

First power on
View attachment 41966

Lid on, screwed down, ready to move
View attachment 41967

32 AMP draw running my 12000 BTU window air conditioner

View attachment 41960
HI, how is the transfer time when the grid goes down? does your pc turn off?

Back