diy solar

diy solar

It was suggested to ask you guys, vented but weatherproof box. Possible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9967
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9967

Ok so I was told that you marine guys have solved all of these types of problems years ago.
I believe it too because I have met some of you guys. :)

Ok so here is my problem. I need to enclose my lifepo batteries on my mobility scooter. Weight is definitely a factor here. It can not be heavy.
Second, it has to be electrically insulated. Not a problem as I intend to use thin plywood. I work with wood all the time and it is easy for me.

Third, the housing on the batteries is aluminum.
Fourth, they use a lot of salt and sand here so corrosion protection is needed. Maybe paint them with tremclad? Or would that screw them up?

Fifth, it has to allow air flow to protect from overheating. Maybe a fan on top?
Lastly. Be weatherproof, as in protected from rain and salt etc.

Ok you geniuses. Any ideas? :eek::):unsure:?

I seen to many posts and know there are some brilliant people out there. :)
Oh yeah, it also has to fit on the scooter too. I was thinking 4 cells per side.

Thanks guys, you are the best. :)

I have done testing on some enclosures that need to be sealed, yet vented.
Look around for Gore-Tex patches. They come as little patches with adhesive around the perimeter on one side.
They are usually recessed in a spot made for their size and a small hole drilled to allow air to pass, but not moisture.

I have done testing on some enclosures that need to be sealed, yet vented.
Look around for Gore-Tex patches. They come as little patches with adhesive around the perimeter on one side.
They are usually recessed in a spot made for their size and a small hole drilled to allow air to pass, but not moisture.
Wow, hadn't thought of gore-tex since the late 80's LOL. Been a while since I thought of back packing which is what it was famous for at one time.
Good idea though. Thanks. :)

3R or 4X?
Pressure relief valve?

"Air flow to prevent overheating"
This has been done for electronics with heatsinks inside and out, and air circulation.

What is the goal? Corrosion protection?
Painting the aluminum would protect it. Something gasketed or caulked to seal around the electrical connections. Wires leading to a connector with gasket?

So now instead of my earlier suggestion styrofoam ice chest, remove lid to charge ...
Pot the wiring to a lid, with lift strap snaked through under batteries. Leave a breathing holes for vents if those exist.
Place in ice chest for use, left out for charging.
Still assuming little heat production during discharge, and that you want to keep them warm out on the road (sidewalk? Bike lane?)

3R or 4X?
Pressure relief valve?

"Air flow to prevent overheating"
This has been done for electronics with heatsinks inside and out, and air circulation.

What is the goal? Corrosion protection?
Painting the aluminum would protect it. Something gasketed or caulked to seal around the electrical connections. Wires leading to a connector with gasket?

So now instead of my earlier suggestion styrofoam ice chest, remove lid to charge ...
Pot the wiring to a lid, with lift strap snaked through under batteries. Leave a breathing holes for vents if those exist.
Place in ice chest for use, left out for charging.
Still assuming little heat production during discharge, and that you want to keep them warm out on the road (sidewalk? Bike lane?)
I like the heatsink idea.
I was thinking of using shoo goo for filling up any holes needed for the box. That stuff is tough enough to resole shoes soooo. :)
Yes, painting with tremclad is an option as well.
Good ideas. Thanks :)

Enclosures that are designed to use a Gore-Tex patch will generally use a thermal management scheme that transfers all the heat to the aluminum enclosure. There, it spreads out and is dissipated with cooling fins machined into the case.

Back