diy solar

diy solar

It's about a month old but this YT vid is about Iron air batteries....

Terrapin

.... they sound too heavy for portable use in vehicles or mobil applications but holy cow chack out the energy density potential!

I have been following Form for a little while. There are big challenge in the 'rust' gumming things up and limiting the cycles. I kinda view this with all the other battery breakthroughs.... I am not going to hold my breath. Don't get me wrong, I really hope they succeed but I have been disappointed too many times to get excited before they are 'real'.

Note: One thing I do agree with is that in the long run Lithium Ion may not be the right solution for grid energy storage (For all the reasons the video talked about). The scale of the grid storage problem is such that something fundamentally different than lithium ion is needed. It is going to be all about $/KWh and the Weight and Energy Density advantages of Lithium Ion can (mostly) be ignored for grid storage.

I have been following Form for a little while. There are big challenge in the 'rust' gumming things up and limiting the cycles. I kinda view this with all the other battery breakthroughs.... I am not going to hold my breath. Don't get me wrong, I really hope they succeed but I have been disappointed too many times to get excited before they are 'real'.

Note: One thing I do agree with is that in the long run Lithium Ion may not be the right solution for grid energy storage (For all the reasons the video talked about). The scale of the grid storage problem is such that something fundamentally different than lithium ion is needed. It is going to be all about $/KWh and the Weight and Energy Density advantages of Lithium Ion can (mostly) be ignored for grid storage
Agreed in all aspects. and even if it just were any tech that cold be used by big energy it cold relieve the demand for lithium cell materials. That could result in a price drop given how production is a a decent level right now.

With any recent battery tech, ALWAYS look beyond it, and ask about the business model.

Does it involve black-box, vendor lock-in along with proprietary connections and possibly draconian "intellectual property" licensing?

How many previous battery revolutions were actually good for mankind, but since they couldn't lock down the market just got shelved, and turned into mere patent-troll bait ?

Back