diy solar

diy solar

It's "loses", not "looses" (and other grammar lessons)

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
I don't know how this got started but the Internet is filled with people that use "looses" when they mean to say "loses". I can certainly understand the issue for people that must suffer through learning English as a second language but I see so many English natives use it too.

loose - an adjective that means "not tight". Something can be loose, looser, or loosest.

to lose - a verb that means to misplace or to be unable to find. As with any verb it can be conjugated. lose, lost, loses, losing.

loser - a noun that means someone that didn't win.

Lose vs. Loose: How to Use Each Correctly | Merriam-Webster

Feel free to post your own simple grammar lesson for things you commonly see misused. Keep it friendly and constructive please. This is meant to teach, not tease. Autocorrect happens so proofread your posts. It's embarrassing to post about grammar with a typo. :)

While I'm certainly guilty of typos I do take the time to proofread before I post. I've edited many of my posts after the fact when I notice a typo hours or even days later. Proofreading your own writing is difficult. We tend to see what we meant, not what we actually typed. Making grammatically correct posts shows that you care about the people you are seeking help from or providing help to, and it makes your posts much easier for the many users that are not native English speakers. Learning another language is difficult. Dealing with bad grammar and misspellings just makes it that much harder.

Last edited:
then & than

There also seems to be a lot of confusion with the words then and than.

then - while it has a few uses, it is commonly used to indicate that something followed something else. I did this, then I did that.

than - while it has a few uses, it is commonly used when comparing things. This is bigger than that.

For more details see Then vs. Than | Merriam-Webster

I get the desire to have fun but I did ask that we keep everything constructive so the thread stays useful. Thanks.

Their probably just unaware of the affect they're words wood have on us. Its no big deal and we should just except it. I wouldn't altar a single word. They've been served there just deserts, and I would of maid the same mistake. Let sleeping dogs lay. They probably never past English class anyway, and your far two picky about these things. ?

Their probably just unaware of the affect they're words wood have on us. Its no big deal and we should just except it. I wouldn't altar a single word. They've been served there just deserts, and I would of maid the same mistake. Let sleeping dogs lay. They probably never past English class anyway, and your far two picky about these things. ?
I find is highly amusing that some of you are intentionally using the wrong word,....and nobody will bite.

Fiscal-not physical when talking about finance and funding. E.g.: fiscal year.
Moot-not mute (usually). E.g.: Your point is moot.
For God’s sake-not for God sakes.

Oh here is one more. I cannot help myself.
For all y'all who write "I bought a couple lithium cells yesterday" The correct usage is as follows:

"I bought a couple OF lithium cells yesterday" .

This sounds right too cuz you would actually be saying "I bought a couple OF 2 packs OF lithium cells yesterday" wouldn't you? After all, nobody is building 6 volt batteries here.
A 2 pack is a couple but you'd never write "I bought a 2 pack lithium cells yesterday". ( Oh gawd.. would you?).

And... LOOSES is about a 'SPELLING lesson' not a 'Grammar lesson', right?

Back