diy solar

diy solar

It's "loses", not "looses" (and other grammar lessons)

And... LOOSES is about a 'SPELLING lesson' not a 'Grammar lesson', right?
I suppose that is technically correct. I'm probably taking some liberty by rolling in that common spelling mistake as a grammar lesson.

I don't know how this got started but the Internet is filled with people that use "looses" when they mean to say "loses". I can certainly understand the issue for people that must suffer through learning English as a second language but I see so many English natives use it too.

loose - an adjective that means "not tight". Something can be loose, looser, or loosest.

to lose - a verb that means to misplace or to be unable to find. As with any verb it can be conjugated. lose, lost, loses, losing.

loser - a noun that means someone that didn't win.

Lose vs. Loose: How to Use Each Correctly | Merriam-Webster

Feel free to post your own simple grammar lesson for things you commonly see misused. Keep it friendly and constructive please. This is meant to teach, not tease. Autocorrect happens so proofread your posts. It's embarrassing to post about grammar with a typo. :)

While I'm certainly guilty of typos I do take the time to proofread before I post. I've edited many of my posts after the fact when I notice a typo hours or even days later. Proofreading your own writing is difficult. We tend to see what we meant, not what we actually typed. Making grammatically correct posts shows that you care about the people you are seeking help from or providing help to, and it makes your posts much easier for the many users that are not native English speakers. Learning another language is difficult. Dealing with bad grammar and misspellings just makes it that much harder.
How about losses? I like losses two :)

When we live in a world of autocorrect, I think we get lazy and don’t proofread in our haste. I personally could care less what people mis-typed as long as I understood what they meant to say. Especially on a forum such as this. What really irritates me is when people think they are professional journalists and feel the need to try to correct you. Honestly, it’s more annoying than the miss-typed word. There is no need to try to prove your superiority. If you want to show people how smart you are and decimate ones character, go write a book. Maybe someone will buy your drivel.
And if you ever have written a book, I’m sure your publisher found many typos. Just ask Will. We are only human after all.

Last edited:
I like the principle behind the OP's thread. I'm quite new to the solar world and am confused most of the time. I am confused almost all of the time when someone uses the wrong word in a technical electrical post.

I hope the principal gets the point. ;)

Just for entertainment value: My biggest peeve is misuse of an apostrophe with pronouns. Pronouns are generally possessive as they stand, and are never made possessive with an apostrophe. Any apostrophe used with a pronoun is used to create a conjunction with a form of the verb "be".

Examples:
Its = Possessive form of it; belongs to it. Note the lack of an apostrophe.
It's = Always a conjunction of "it is."
They're = Always a conjunction of "they are."
Their = Possessive form of they.
Ours = Possessive form of us.
Our's = Never write this; it makes no sense. It would be "Our is," which is not something you would ever say.
Yours = Possessive form of your, which itself is a possessive form of you. "Your neighbor thought the rake was yours."
Your's = Makes no sense; read as "your is"

Bonus:
There = A reference to a place, whether actual or not. My High School English teacher was adamant that one should never write the word "there" because it is a cop-out that only removes information. She stopped short of saying, "there is always a better word or phrase."

Recap:
Treat pronouns the opposite of nouns when attempting to show possession. Nouns get an apostrophe and possibly some form of "s", but pronouns are possessive already. Any pronoun with an apostrophe is a conjunction with a form of "be."

You may now proceed to provide humorous counterexamples and blatant misuses.

Just for entertainment value: My biggest peeve is misuse of an apostrophe with pronouns. Pronouns are generally possessive as they stand, and are never made possessive with an apostrophe. Any apostrophe used with a pronoun is used to create a conjunction with a form of the verb "be".

Examples:
Its = Possessive form of it; belongs to it. Note the lack of an apostrophe.
It's = Always a conjunction of "it is."
They're = Always a conjunction of "they are."
Their = Possessive form of they.
Ours = Possessive form of us.
Our's = Never write this; it makes no sense. It would be "Our is," which is not something you would ever say.
Yours = Possessive form of your, which itself is a possessive form of you. "Your neighbor thought the rake was yours."
Your's = Makes no sense; read as "your is"

Bonus:
There = A reference to a place, whether actual or not. My High School English teacher was adamant that one should never write the word "there" because it is a cop-out that only removes information. She stopped short of saying, "there is always a better word or phrase."

Recap:
Treat pronouns the opposite of nouns when attempting to show possession. Nouns get an apostrophe and possibly some form of "s", but pronouns are possessive already. Any pronoun with an apostrophe is a conjunction with a form of "be."

You may now proceed to provide humorous counterexamples and blatant misuses.
That's actually a good explanation... (see what I did there?)

I suck at grammar and have to make a conscious and continuing effort to check my postings.

Back