diy solar

diy solar

Its this a proper installation of panels or should we fire our installer?

mrdavvv

Solar Enthusiast
Hello!

So it was my idea to install some solar panels at my company's warehouse, so im watching the installation, hoping that it goes smooth and hopefully we start to add more arrays.

Im starting to think that we should look for other company for this..... We hired some guys that had some good references and photographic evidence of past works in this kind of installation (Metallic roof warehouse). Unfortunately we didn't did a good check on this and maybe the photos arent even theirs.

From the beginning they didn't gave us a good impression, arrived 3 hours late, in a normal small SUV without any decals, with all the aluminum profiles and panels in the backseats (Wonder how they managed to do that). Next they asked for a stair to go up to the warehouse since they didn't bring one with them...next red flag was seeing them putting all the nuts with an small wrench, not even ratchet, not even an drill or impact gun, a wrench for all the nuts!. So logically, its taking them 3 days instead of the promised 5 hours.

Anyways, we went up to check the the advance of the work:

- They didn't put any braces between the legs of the structure, so after adding the panels, the weight of them twisted the structure, in such a way that the legs in red flexed to the right. That caused the panels to bend and flex as you can see in this photos:

photo5706383722760218574.jpg
photo5706383722760218575.jpg
photo5706383722760218569.jpg

On the top right leg, you can see that they are not aligned, because of the structure deformed by PV weight:

1592152350846.png

There is some cool systems to attach PV systems to mettalic roofs, not this one... just put a hole, a little aluminum angle and some silicon... doesnt look very safe. If you push the structure everything moves, so we expect the seal to fail after some time from sun, movement and age...

photo5706383722760218579.jpg

---

As they arrived in a SUV, the aluminum profiles were cut to 2mt, and then braced together, it looks rigid enough but i think it would have been better to just put a single 4mt lengh profile:

:photo5706383722760218580.jpg
----

Anyways, what do you think about this installation?.

We are worried for the panels.. i don't know a lot about PV but ive read some datasheets and they emphasize to avoid any deformations, bending or physicall damage while transporting or installing. Its my understanding that putting excesive pressure or deformation can cause microfractures, but not sure if im being paranoid or its this degree of deformation can effectively damage the panels.

• So do you see problems with this installation?, what do you think?
  • Its possible that the panels were damage for this?
  • Should we ask for panel replacement?, as maybe this have some "invisible" damage that can cause problems later?
  • Any sources or documentation so we can have some talking point of proof to show to the installer?. They are most likely going to say that everything its OK.
  • Any examples of propper mounting in metallic roofs?.

Thanks a lot!, im kind of worried of this going south and causing the PV project to be cancelled :(

Attachments

• photo5706383722760218580.jpg
    photo5706383722760218580.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10
Damn! :(

Did the builing permit show any engineering? The uplift force is usually the greatest. Did they actually tap into a structural member underneath the metal roof. I agree, fire them. pay them for materials only.

Around here no permits needed for solar. I think they tapped the structure of the roof, but didnt check in detail (Still work in process as they havent finished). In any case i think we are going to remove everything and get a professional, as we are not longer sure if the panels werent damaged by all that flexing and improper handling

That looks like he's just used bits of scrap and drilled holes in things to mount it. There are ways to do off angle roof mounting, and this is not it. Removing it all is the only option. That wouldn't stand up to decent wind, and you don't want a panel breaking loose and flapping around punching holes in your roof or going flying and smacking into next door.

Google image search for tilt frames. You'll find plenty of pictures of how it should be done.

*edit for more*
It's not just the uplift to be concerned about either. That mess is going to wiggle back and forth like crazy under wind. If there's one sure way to cause metal things fail it's to sit there and wiggle it a lot.

Last edited:
I've never seen such fragile work.. that needs to come down before a storm brings it and more down.

Wow. That is an amazingly bad install. A baboon could do better. Fire them and tell everyone you know that they suck. Then report them to the BBB, and the state licensing entity.

WoW - I did not think that you should drinking on the job, but on a roof - Oh No mr bill

Is this in the US? That install reminds me of the stuff you see in Cuba or other third world countries. Best they could cobble together given what they had.

If that is in the US and you paid for that, that's a solid NOPE on the install.

I'm in McKinney TX and wanted to build my own tracker mount. City said no, needs to be UL listed and must be certifieed up to 115mph wind.
This looks like the opposite extreeme.

City said no, needs to be UL listed and must be certifieed up to 115mph wind.
That sounds like an obstructionist response from your city planner. It may not be worth asking but it would be interesting to see the building code section that says that. I completely understand the need for an engineering certification and that is done by a prifessional that typically designs the tracker. That may add enough cost to offset to efficiency of a tracker. Today it is often more cost effective to just add more panels and/or orient they arrays to capture more energy.

he was obviously compensating for the coriolis effect, that top notch next level engineering...

Back