diy solar

diy solar

Jackery E240 - SolarSaga 60 Vs 100 Vs Rich Solar 100w

dnjinwi

Hello,

Having just recently acquired a Jackery Explorer 240 I wanted to know what is the best semi-portable solar option for the price. I was looking at the Rich Solar 100w poly panels and the adapter to go with it but I don't think that is going to be portable enough to take with me a couple times a year. I would like to go with either a SolarSaga 60w or 100w as they would be easily transported but they seem fairly overpriced for panels. Would I be able to use the extra theoretical 40w or would the E240 not accept the extra power? Should I go for the much cheaper Rich Solar panel and adapter instead? Any other suggestions?

How many amps does the E240 let in?
Will it let that in at any voltage in the range?
What is the maximum watts input at 12V, 18V and 30V?

Thanks!

Take a Solar Saga 100. Very expensive but very good and very mobile. I use them with a Explorer 1000, a Yeti 1000x and some other Yeti. One Solar Saga 100 gives in perfect conditions about 110 watts, more as specified.

With a Explorer 240 and a Solar Saga 100 you have more solar power in cloudy weather conditions.

The E240 can take 12-30v at 3.5A max. I don't personally have an E240 but judging from my experience with my Explorer 500 and mate's Explorer 1000 they take in more amps at 22-24v range. A bit of a bummer when most 18v solar panels (including Jackery's own solar saga series) output between 16-20v depending on sunlight.

If budget is an issue I'd stick with Rich Solar or another reputable brand solar panels. Perhaps purchase a 24v panel if you have other uses for them. Only purchase the solar sagas if you must IMHO.

As others have said, the Jackery 240 is limited on the charge side to around 65-ish watts regardless of whether it's plugged into the wall, a vehicle port, or PV. If you over-panel it (as long as you don't exceed the input voltage), you'll have some extra capacity during less-than-ideal lighting conditions, but you won't charge it any faster than the 65-ish watt limit.

Back