diy solar

diy solar

Jakiper and LiFePower4 in parallel

ewilhelm

Hi,

On recommendation from the YouTube channel, I have ordered both a 48V 100AH LiFePower4 Battery by EG4 and a JK48V100 100 AH LiFePO4 Jakiper Battery. I want to get experience with both batteries, and plan to use them on my off-grid system, which is 2 kW solar, 3.5 kW MidNite Solar MN3548DIY Inverter/Charger, currently with ~5 kWh of flooded lead acid battery storage to be replaced by the LiFePO4 batteries when they arrive.

Given the capacity, voltage, and chemistry are the same, I assume I can easily run these in parallel. Will the BMS communication operate between the different batteries? The MN3548DIY does not have BMS communication; does it even make sense to have the batteries communicating without communicating with the inverter/charger?

Am I doing something dumb? Should I cancel one of the battery orders and order a second of the other type?

Thanks,

Eric

I seem to recall Will Prowse in his Video commenting that the Jakiper used the same BMS as the EG4, but that's an old man's recollection so you might want to watch it yourself & double check. If so they should communicate with each other fine.

I have ordered a Jakiper also, and am waiting for it to ship, and I plan to order an EG4 as soon as my CC cycles (don't want the balance to exceed my monthly capacity to support my addiction) for largely the same reasons as you (I want to experience both). I plan to attempt to get them to talk to each other, and then feed both into Solar Assistant. Will it work, we will see

Irrespective of the communications bus there should be no problem putting the two 100 AH units on the same main bus. I currently am running 1 BB Husky, 4S 100AH Chins in series, and 2P4S 110AH AGM on the same bus and they all are happy as clams. Do the match each other perfectly in SOC, nope. Is anyone complaining nope. I limit my charge at 56.4 volts with a 53.6 volt float, but I rarely keep it full. Normally the batteries are ranging between 51 and 54 volts.

"2P4S 110AH AGM" -- is this an absorbent glass mat battery? Are you running different chemistries together? I'm interested in that.

Eric

"2P4S 110AH AGM" -- is this an absorbent glass mat battery? Are you running different chemistries together? I'm interested in that.

Eric
I am, I had the AGM when I started off and couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Looking at the charge profiles I didn't see the harm, and if you search the forums here you'll find a few others doing the same thing. There's a sailor guy who has a couple good in-depth videos on it. Basically the LifePO4 act to trickle charge the AGMs keeping them topped up most of the time. The AGMs only get drawn on when on rare occasion I pull the LifePO4 down to the floor. (under 50 volts). You can see the percentage draw shift from one chemistry to the other as the lithium starts to peter out and the AGM picks up the heavy lifting.

Here is a link to another thread on the topic, a search will yield one or two others: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...-agm-batteries-in-the-same-battery-bank.5078/

Last edited:
Have you or anyone received the Jakiper battery? I thumb through the forum but haven't seen anyone with one in their hands. The broken supply chain is to blame I'm guessing.

Yep, I've been playing the waiting game with a set of bad FLA's, hoping one of these companies will have them in stock and ready to ship. Seems the Jakiper had a shipping date but thought maybe I just dreamed it up.

I like MidNite Solar products so I hope the MN3548DIY works well for you. Might have to get one to test it out. I couldn't offer any comment to your original question, I'm still on the Outback VFX3648 type inverter which seems old school these days.

Have you or anyone received the Jakiper battery? I thumb through the forum but haven't seen anyone with one in their hands. The broken supply chain is to blame I'm guessing.
I reached out to Jakiper earlier in Dec, batteries were due to them by the 10th, and were to ship by the 15th. With the mess at the ports though …

FYI, I followed with Jakiper and received the following reply

So far (till 16th, Dec) we are still waiting for the container to be sent from port to our warehouse...
The container is offloading and completed custom clearance already, but we are still waiting for the call to pick it up. This takes much longer time than our expectation.

Sincerely for the delay.

FYI, I followed with Jakiper and received the following reply

So far (till 16th, Dec) we are still waiting for the container to be sent from port to our warehouse...
The container is offloading and completed custom clearance already, but we are still waiting for the call to pick it up. This takes much longer time than our expectation.

Sincerely for the delay.
If you have an order for a Jakiper battery, log in to your Jakiper battery account and look at your order. Jakiper has posted exactly what eabyrd posted above. I log in a couple of times per week to see if there is a new posting on the status.

If you have an order for a Jakiper battery, log in to your Jakiper battery account and look at your order. Jakiper has posted exactly what eabyrd posted above. I log in a couple of times per week to see if there is a new posting on the status.
I had no idea we could create accounts based on our orders. Thanks
tomorrow I order my lifepower4 for comparison to and hopefully connection with this one. Wonder which will arrive first

I don’t know if you can look at your order if you create your account after you placed the order. I created my account, then placed my order. My orders are listed in my account. Here is the text posted on my account:

Sorry to inform you about the delay of battery delivery.

We had confirmed that our battery contianer in long beach port on 26th, Nov, then we removed the BACKORDER remarks on our product link and marked as INSTOCK instead.
Eariest, the cargo was supposed to be in our warehouse in middle November, but , so far (till 14th, Dec) we are still waiting for the container to be sent from port to our warehouse...

I have two Signature Solar 48v EG4 LifePower4 batteries in operation for a little over a month now. I ordered two Jakiper 48v to double my battery bank’s capacity. I hope they can be interconnected per the RS485 port and communicate with each other. It feels like it is going to be a long wait. Christmas and New Year will probably slow things down even more.

I don’t know if you can look at your order if you create your account after you placed the order. I created my account, then placed my order. My orders are listed in my account. Here is the text posted on my account:

Sorry to inform you about the delay of battery delivery.

We had confirmed that our battery contianer in long beach port on 26th, Nov, then we removed the BACKORDER remarks on our product link and marked as INSTOCK instead.
Eariest, the cargo was supposed to be in our warehouse in middle November, but , so far (till 14th, Dec) we are still waiting for the container to be sent from port to our warehouse...

I have two Signature Solar 48v EG4 LifePower4 batteries in operation for a little over a month now. I ordered two Jakiper 48v to double my battery bank’s capacity. I hope they can be interconnected per the RS485 port and communicate with each other. It feels like it is going to be a long wait. Christmas and New Year will probably slow things down even more.
Thanks, you‘re likely right. Fortunately waiting is something I have the option to do. kinda upsets me they already hit the card, but that is what it is.

Status change on the Jakiper batteries. I copied this notice from my account:

Battery is already in our CA warehouse, the delivery goes slow because of the festival.
If you want to have the battery earlier, you CAN pickup from our warehouse of your own.

If you want to pickup by your own, please drop us an email with the date&time of pickup.

Just wanted to put htis out there for those who do not have an account set up.

Status change on the Jakiper batteries. I copied this notice from my account:

Battery is already in our CA warehouse, the delivery goes slow because of the festival.
If you want to have the battery earlier, you CAN pickup from our warehouse of your own.

If you want to pickup by your own, please drop us an email with the date&time of pickup.

Just wanted to put htis out there for those who do not have an account set up.
Thank you, and merry festival to you and yours

Merry Festival :) HAHA! Read the whole posting closer. They need to hire a good english translator.
I read that to mean that the Christmas holiday was slowing their deliveries, thus the merry play… Am I thicker than normal here and missing something? My yes, interpreting their replies is a bit of a game

I read that to mean that the Christmas holiday was slowing their deliveries, thus the merry play… Am I thicker than normal here and missing something? My yes, interpreting their replies is a bit of a game
No, you are not missing anything. You read it right. I just liked your reference to Merry Festival. It is obvious that the people from Jakiper are from China. They refer to the Holiday's here in the US as the festival, and all of the grammatical errors. That is all. Merry Christmas!

I will continue to post any changes in the status to my Jakiper order. Here is a clipping of my order:

Jakiper.jpg

Yep, I placed my order for the same battery on Dec 3 and have seen exactly the same messages.
When I ordered it, the website showed it as being in stock. The next day, the website changed from 'in stock' to 'pre-order'. If I knew it was going to be a pre-order, I probably would have ordered the EG4 instead.
Btw, EG4 is in stock now at signature solar.

I noticed the same thing and was worried that my order was one to be delivered in March/April 2022. I sent an email with my order number to Jakiper sales, and they assured me that my order was included in the shipment that just arrived and will be sent out as soon as possible. You might want to contact them and find out the status of your order.

Back