diy solar

diy solar

JBD 8S 150A BMS models?

I bought a "dumb" DALY rated at 100A continuous for discharge and 50A continuous for charge.
It broke (~1A voltage drop) after a few weeks. I've been charging at 50A, on and off for several hours during the day, and discharging at 80A max.

I learned in another thread that quality control of DALY BMSs is miserable and that the advertized 100A should be de-rated by ~50% (in which case, a product rating at continuous 100A is fraudulent). And there is no workable warranty as one has to send the broken BMS to China (so they can trash it there?).

JBD are supposed to have better quality control !? And do fewer people have issues compared with DALY ?

So for 100A/50A discharge/charge, is a 200A JBD BMS + 5A active balancer (Heltec seems to make some that are generally recommended) a fairly reliable and affordable solution for a 80A/50A or even 100A/60A use case?

I have a ~700Ah 24V Li Ion EV battery (4p7s) which performs really well and has remained balanced for weeks even without balancer.

@Steve_S : your math is valid but does not apply to my off-grid scenario. I did not oversize my system to account for peak. Whenever a peak occurs which exceeds battery (inverter setting limits to 80A / ~2kW) + PV input power, my hybrid inverter (Phocos) switches to grid for the time being. I found this rarely the case anyway.

So for 100A/50A discharge/charge, is a 200A JBD BMS + 5A active balancer (Heltec seems to make some that are generally recommended) a fairly reliable and affordable solution for a 80A/50A or even 100A/60A use case?

I have a ~700Ah 24V Li Ion EV battery (4p7s) which performs really well and has remained balanced for weeks even without balancer.

I haven't pushed my two Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS (aka JBD) beyond ~1200 watts of load. But they have been in place for almost a year with zero problems.

My thought on using an active balancer is A) buy better batteries B) buy a better BMS C) did you top balance? So far, I have seen no need for additional balancing of my cells. The BMS is doing a very good job of it. Then again, these are good quality cells that were top balanced.

I am using the JBD 150A in (this build) for my "ToolShed".
Battery Pack: 8X EVE 105AH Matched & Batched, with the JBD & Heltec Active Balancer.
System Config as follows:
MidNite Kid Solar Charge Controller http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=530
MidNite E-Panel with 175A Master Breaker.
Two Sillfab SIL-330 NL 330W 60 Cell Mono Panels is series.
1x, 24V/105AH LiFePo4 Battery Pack with JBD-150A Smart BMS & Heltec Active Capacitance Balancer.
Inverter: Yiyen APC-3024 24V/3000W Low Frequency Inverter/Charger Hardwired to 120VAC Only. https://www.yiyen.com/product/apc-series-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger/
The inverter will be ON only when needed.
24V Load from MN-KID to 24V-12V Converter & BlueSea 12V mini-panel. Load will be to LED Lights & 12V Fan.
A BlueSea 9000 Series switch will be between inverter / battery as the battery has to be removable using an Anderson type connector.

This will get written up & photographed and plunked into my Signature, My System Build info for others to reference in future.

I haven't pushed my two Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS (aka JBD) beyond ~1200 watts of load. But they have been in place for almost a year with zero problems.

My thought on using an active balancer is A) buy better batteries B) buy a better BMS C) did you top balance? So far, I have seen no need for additional balancing of my cells. The BMS is doing a very good job of it. Then again, these are good quality cells that were top balanced.
A) As I mentioned above, my batteries have been balanced without a balancer for some weeks now. I have EV batteries (lightly used Samsung from the BMW i3), supposed to be top batteries.
B) therefore my question: which BMSs are good ones, without going overboard?
C) batteries are top balanced. Some people still use an active balancer, I guess to make sure the batteries remain balanced in the long run. Most BMS's, like the DALYs, balance at very low current, so they are useless for >>100AH systems.

So Overkill and JBD are the same? Is this a 24V or 12V system that you pushed over 1.2kW? For how long was it running at that load?

I am using the JBD 150A in (this build) for my "ToolShed".
Battery Pack: 8X EVE 105AH Matched & Batched, with the JBD & Heltec Active Balancer.
System Config as follows:
MidNite Kid Solar Charge Controller http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=530
MidNite E-Panel with 175A Master Breaker.
Two Sillfab SIL-330 NL 330W 60 Cell Mono Panels is series.
1x, 24V/105AH LiFePo4 Battery Pack with JBD-150A Smart BMS & Heltec Active Capacitance Balancer.
Inverter: Yiyen APC-3024 24V/3000W Low Frequency Inverter/Charger Hardwired to 120VAC Only. https://www.yiyen.com/product/apc-series-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger/
The inverter will be ON only when needed.
24V Load from MN-KID to 24V-12V Converter & BlueSea 12V mini-panel. Load will be to LED Lights & 12V Fan.
A BlueSea 9000 Series switch will be between inverter / battery as the battery has to be removable using an Anderson type connector.

This will get written up & photographed and plunked into my Signature, My System Build info for others to reference in future.
This is a relatively small system, you're not running high loads for extended periods, or charge at 50A for longer periods. But that is what I am interested in.

A) As I mentioned above, my batteries have been balanced without a balancer for some weeks now. I have EV batteries (lightly used Samsung from the BMW i3), supposed to be top batteries.
B) therefore my question: which BMSs are good ones, without going overboard?
C) batteries are top balanced. Some people still use an active balancer, I guess to make sure the batteries remain balanced in the long run. Most BMS's, like the DALYs, balance at very low current, so they are useless for >>100AH systems.

So Overkill and JBD are the same? Is this a 24V or 12V system that you pushed over 1.2kW? For how long was it running at that load?

Overkill Solar does some add-ons that made it worth the money to go with their product instead of ordering a JBD direct from China. It's a 12v system that I'm pushing that amount of juice through. However, I'm really not pushing the BMS or the batteries very hard.

Did you ever get these and get to put them to use?

I did receive them finally. I haven't installed them yet (need to get my quonset hut up first before I can really start assembling the rest of my 48v system), but I posted a bunch of pics of them I took, here over on this thread:

Last edited:
does the contactor stay On the whole time . it consumes around 1.7w . and that would drain the pack
if not , how does it shut down and how it powers up ? ( i am asking since in their add they mension something "automatic hibernating" )

Attachments

• 1632186666001.png
    1632186666001.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 11
if the contactor is NO or Normally Open then there’s no way to save the 1.7w while keeping the contactor closed.

if the contactor is NO or Normally Open then there’s no way to save the 1.7w while keeping the contactor closed.
The ideal contactor for this type of set-up would be a Bi-Stable latching contactor. This would allow the BMS to pulse the contactor to turn it on or off and not have the coil continuously energized. It is not clear from the ad, but it does *not* sound like this is a latching contactor.

So maybe it has a switch for power On/off to enable the contactor and allow for discharging . if someone has the BMS they must know for sure

Back