diy solar

diy solar

JBD 8S 150A BMS models?

NCSolar

Hello,

I'm in the process of building an 8S 24V pack (8 EVE 280 cells) and was interested in the JBD 150A BMS but I'm confused a little as I see two models on AliExpress? What am I missing here?

The first is the one discussed on here JBD SP8S004 8S 24v 150A BMS, longer and possibly less heat sink, includes Bluetooth.
JBD Smart Bms 24V 150A Li-Ion Lifepo4 Battery Pack 8S With Uart Bluetooth High Power For E-Bike

The second is the JBD-HP32S001 which has the same form factor as the 100A model but doesn't list Bluetooth.
JBD 7S Bms 8S 24V 100A 150A Common Port With Balance For 3.2V Lifepo4 3.7V Li-Ion Lithium Battery

I know I am new to this all, am I mis-reading something here?

Thanks!

Well at least on that second one you linked to, what I see on the Specs section is that it does not support communication function (serial/UART) or Bluetooth... I would prefer to have one where I can at least monitor cell voltage.

1626809405164.png

Agreed, that would be big. I was hoping maybe the Bluetooth module from the 100A would work on it since they seem to be the same (ish) looking product, but maybe that is saying they wouldn't. Good point.

Just something to ponder: a 280AH cell based pack can output 280A for 1 hour and take 140A for 2 hours to charge. (max limits)
24V @ 250A draw = 6000W + Surge Handling, typically X2 for High Frequency Inverter or X3 for a Low Frequency Inverter.

I'm 24V LFP, Coffee maker draws 50A for 6 minutes while brewing, Panasonic 1200W Inverter Microwave pulls 75A, so be aware that it takes very little to hit High Amp draws... If the coffee maker is going + Nukelator for 125A draw and fridge starts the momentary Motor Hit pushes it up for a second or two, then the well pump kicks on and your hitting high amps... NEVER EVER Underestimate the potential, many people do, then grumble because the BMS cannot handle it and drops them cold with a threshold cutoff. For 280AH packs I suggest a 250A Capable BMS because that is what they can do.

100AH Battery packs are common because most are designed to replace standard Lead (as in drop in's) but this is NOT common for ESS (Energy Storage Systems). Even BattleBorn, SimpliPhi, Relion use BMS' rated between 120-150A Handling which they Derate to 100A to ensure longterm operation without stressing the FET based BMS'. The Lesson there is to always get a larger BMS and derate it by 15-20% providing a safe operational margin.

A decent BMS to handle the requirement will cost NO LESS than the cost of one cell, a GOOD BMS will cost the same as 2 cells. Considering it is protecting ALL the cells (pile of cash) that is quite reasonable.

JBD Listings in sorted List Format (easier to locate BMS')

Good Luck, Hope it helps.
Steve

Thanks all, I did message them on Aliexpress inquiring about the bluetooth on that model and the slightly cryptic translated reply seems to indicate that bluetooth is not available. They pointed me right back to the JBD SP8S004 that has been featured on here instead. The model you mentioned slick99 also doesn't seem to mention bluetooth on first read so again would have to inguire. Thanks.

Thanks for the good advice Steve, my application might be slightly different as I'm initally planning on using the batteries to reduce my time on generator in a power outrage, at least in phase one, so I will be looking to control and minimize my current draw (willing to sacrifice normal life in the unusual circumstances). But in the future if the solar component goes well I might need the extra capacity and want to go live, so good to consider now.

I am also want to make the same setup, with the same 150A bms (or maybe a 200A bms like THIS).
After I read more here on the forum, i am not sure, do we need an active balancer too.... or not?

200 amp JBD with Bluetooth here

JBD 150A Smart BMS Common-Port with BlueTooth module,Cold Temprature cutoff. PART NUMBER: JBD-SP08S004
@Steve_S Do you have any experience with that BMS. JBD has a good name but I would like to here from real users before I buy it or recommend it.

@Steve_S Do you have any experience with that BMS. JBD has a good name but I would like to here from real users before I buy it or recommend it.
I have a 4S-120 and Ordered this for another 24V/100AH pack I'm setting up for the toolshed, no direct exp, I'm also coupling it with a Heltec 8S Active Capacitve Balancer.

Edited for 10AH typo... Thanks filterguy lol

Last edited:
These look like breakers or fuses is that right? Came across this thread doing a search: 48V 100A charger. I’m looking for that bench tool assembly Will has used to test the Chin’s and Zoom batteries on YouTube. I need to be able to control Amps on the charge array like my BMS is able when connected to the array. Need this for testing purpose as I assemble my own banks.

I had the same question. Here is a picture of the JBD 8S 24V 150 Amp BMS SP8S004 Wired posted by a user in another thread.
Thanks! I expected there to be more than 2 wires connected to the BMS. Is the setup in the picture correct?

Thanks! I expected there to be more than 2 wires connected to the BMS. Is the setup in the picture correct?
This is my battery. I went with a 2awg single cable to and from the bms because it seemed like a good place to start. I have toyed with the idea of 3 x 6awg squeezed into a 2/0 lug, but haven't got that far yet. It's a working battery that has blown me away. I haven't done a capacity test yet either. Love the bms, but have yet to put more than 75 amps through it.

Back