diy solar

diy solar

JBD BMS 250 amp-question

Phil Orton

I just bought a JBD 250A BMS, model SP22S001 20S 250A, Will use it in a 16S configuration with 280ah cells.
As usual, the manual is 'difficult' to work with.
Question is: I can not find any information about this unit posted by members and would like to get some
feedback if anyone has used it and if there have been any wiring or operational issues to watch out for that you could share.
Thanks in advance-

7/21/22 Update. Just in case anyone else has wiring questions on this BMS, this Picture was sent to me by JBD this morning.
Clarifies what others said wiring should look like. Hope it's helpful.

8/3/22 Update. FYI, this unit was shipped to me without the 2 external temp sensors. After several days of back and forth
Jiabaida finally agreed to send me replacements. Hopefully they will show up before winter! lol.

Attachments

• SP22S001 Wiring.jpg
    SP22S001 Wiring.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Pretty much all of the JBD units use the same "brain". They just have different amounts of MOSFETs, or a contactor.

JBD is definitely one of the more reliable BMS brands, there's a ton of happy users, including myself, on here. I have three 120a units, as well as a 150a unit, which seems to be what your model is based off of. Over 2 years in service, and no real issues to report.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also using their 100a 48v BMS on a 16s string and it works fine. Thought I'd step up the capacity a bit on my new 16s string so I picked this unit. What I can't get is an actual layout of the sensing leads from them for this unit. The manual is totally incomplete and inconsistent to work with. Since this unit is for up to 20s, it's unclear what to do with the 'spare' leads. Other posts on different units seem to indicate to hook up the 15 & 16s wires, then starting at B0 work thru to B14 and bunch up what's left(extra wires) on B14. Would this be your thoughts also?

I have purchase a couple of these also but have not installed them yet. I did browse the manual and noticed on Page 12 (section 7.2 other serial connection methods) it shows what you need to do for less than 20s usage. For example: 16S it says "16 string - Short BC14-BC19 Followed by 14 String positive". Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also using their 100a 48v BMS on a 16s string and it works fine. Thought I'd step up the capacity a bit on my new 16s string so I picked this unit. What I can't get is an actual layout of the sensing leads from them for this unit. The manual is totally incomplete and inconsistent to work with. Since this unit is for up to 20s, it's unclear what to do with the 'spare' leads. Other posts on different units seem to indicate to hook up the 15 & 16s wires, then starting at B0 work thru to B14 and bunch up what's left(extra wires) on B14. Would this be your thoughts also?
I only have experience with 4s and 8s, sorry.

I worked on your team for several years back at the turn of the century. I retired early and I'm enjoying my hobby is solar, batteries and hurricane preparedness.

I worked on your team for several years back at the turn of the century. I retired early and I'm enjoying my hobby is solar, batteries and hurricane preparedness.
Keith, at my age I need a last name to place you. Why not send me a Facebook friend request and we can chat there. Phil

Back