diy solar

diy solar

JBD BMS system set up Victron monitoring necessary

JMBoise

I am in the process of building out a 600 Ah 12 v system for my Transit van. Have ordered two Rebel 300Ah batteries, come with JBD BMS.
Is it necessary to go through Victron build out using a multiplus with bluetooth monitoring, when I am already getting monitoring off of the BMS?
Planning to use a Sterling dc/dc charger. My air conditioning unit is a 12v that draws off the battery. Only AC sources would be infrequent microwave and
potential 700 W AC Heater.

Not strictly necessary, but the Multi is a solid product. What alternatives are you considering?

What kind of 12V air conditioner do you have? They are normally pretty pricey, so I'm assuming you have some budget for an inverter. If you have no intention of supporting shore power, then not much use for an inverter charger, like the multiplus. A simple 2000W inverter would likely do. Any solar planned?

Mabru 12000 BTU rooftop, 25-50 Amps depending on mode. I do have a budget for an inverter, trying to figure out if I really need all the add on
stuff that Victron offers to monitor systems when I already have a BMS. The more add ons the more fuses, complexity and cost.

Pretty much set on Multiplus 2000. Cerbo GX and battery sensors do not seem necessary.

Pretty much set on Multiplus 2000. Cerbo GX and battery sensors do not seem necessary.
I guess it's really up to you. You can always add a shunt if you want. I have a 3000 multiplus and a SmartSolar, but I do also have a SmartShunt with temp sensor. I have my Cerbo GX setup to pass the Shunt's battery temp, voltage and current sensing to the Multiplus and SmartSolar by turning on DVCC. That way, they're all aligned when charging. You seem to want to focus only on your DC-DC charger for charging. If that is the case, then you really don't need a multiplus. You can just get a less expensive inverter. Do you want to have solar or shore power charging too?

Sure you can look at state of charge on each BMS. But a shunt brings that state of charge together into one reporting device. I find my Victron Connect app easier to work with than the app used for the JBD BMS.

Every once in a while I still check both BMS, just to be sure that they are balanced.

Disclaimer: I sell Victron. I'm biased :)

I agree with HRKTD and the others. All that "add-on stuff" is what makes a Victron system so powerful. Since your batteries don't communicate with each other, let alone your Victron gear, you'll have to check each BMS and then determine your overall state of charge. For about $130 you can get the smart shunt and keep track of your overall battery bank. I would also recommend a VE.bus wireless dongle. These are minimum extra bits I would suggest.

For another $200 or so, consider getting the MultiPlus 3000VA for a little extra oomph. The 3kVA unit is spec'd to produce 2,400 watts 120v where the Multi 2kVA produces 1,600 watts.

If you want to see how your whole system is performing from one pane of glass, then consider getting a CerboGX, Touch 50, and a Lynx Shunt. Get a Lynx Power In to connect your batteries (make sure to use MRBF fuses on the battery terminals) and a Lynx Distributor to feed your larger DC loads.

Are you doing any solar?

P.S. As I re-read what I typed, I sound like an up-selling douchebag!

Disclaimer: I sell Victron. I'm biased :)

I agree with HRKTD and the others. All that "add-on stuff" is what makes a Victron system so powerful. Since your batteries don't communicate with each other, let alone your Victron gear, you'll have to check each BMS and then determine your overall state of charge. For about $130 you can get the smart shunt and keep track of your overall battery bank. I would also recommend a VE.bus wireless dongle. These are minimum extra bits I would suggest.

For another $200 or so, consider getting the MultiPlus 3000VA for a little extra oomph. The 3kVA unit is spec'd to produce 2,400 watts 120v where the Multi 2kVA produces 1,600 watts.

If you want to see how your whole system is performing from one pane of glass, then consider getting a CerboGX, Touch 50, and a Lynx Shunt. Get a Lynx Power In to connect your batteries (make sure to use MRBF fuses on the battery terminals) and a Lynx Distributor to feed your larger DC loads.

Are you doing any solar?

P.S. As I re-read what I typed, I sound like an up-selling douchebag!

The Victron landscape can be a bit intimidating, especially when it comes to connecting everything. I'm in the middle of my Multiplus 12/3000, Cerbo GX and Touch 50 install that is all being added to a system that already had the BMV-712 and two Smartsolar MPPT. I hope I bought all the right cables.
confused3.gif

It would be a lot easier if everything connected through Bluetooth.

You'll have it running in no time. The biggest bummer about the BMV-712 is the VE.direct port is on the back of the display, not on the shunt. If you have a long cable run between the shunt and display, you might consider a SmartShunt instead of the BMV.

Thanks for all the info. I will get the shunts and cerbo to keep track of things. Still trying to figure out why Victron only carries a 30A dc/dc charger or a really expensive buck boost? Leaning towards Orton method inverter DC/AC/Multiplus/House Bank. Sterling has a pretty bad rap on Amazon right now. Not sure if I want to test the waters on a newly designed 120A DC/DC charger/buck booster

Back