JBD BMS USA Inventory - Is there Community Interest?

Gazoo

Dumb Dumb
All of that is something for the entrepreneur to figure out, not for us the end consumers. The current market for the exact same hardware is out of stock from Overkill at $120+ or from China in stock with long shipping times at under $60.

To me doesn't matter much. I'm happy buying the same hardware from overseas at half price, solder my own screw terminals and fix their wiring mistakes. But having more options to buy the exact same hardware is always welcomed.
What kind of warranty do the Chinese give you if ordering directly from them, and what kind of support? It's good you noticed the criss crossed wires on your bluetooth dongle but most wouldn't have a clue including me. I was happy to pay double for my Overkill for the peace of mind and the warranty which no one has matched so far.

MrNatural22

🌞SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
What kind of warranty do the Chinese give you if ordering directly from them, and what kind of support? It's good you noticed the criss crossed wires on your bluetooth dongle but most wouldn't have a clue including me. I was happy to pay double for my Overkill for the peace of mind and the warranty which no one has matched so far.
True True, My experience with buying overseas was a real 'Ali-excuse" session. Time differenced, delayed email responses, wacky language interpretations, days on end to resolve.............invisable.gifif they are resolved. ;)

I have no problem paying a higher price for better/US based customer service.

JRam

Solar Enthusiast
The same warranty we all get with the lifepo4 cells from Alibaba, near zero. I initially didn't notice the crossed wires, it became apparent when I connected the BMS and I couldn't connect to it. The Bluetooth got a bit hot but survived.

I would also gladly pay the extra premium from Overkill, in fact I own one his 8s BMS and paid extra for the 8 gauge wires, but ever since Will sent him a gazillion new costumers he just can't keep up with the demand. That is why I think a second US based supplier would be greatly appreciated.

HighTechLab

Small Business Owner
Somehow I posted this on someone else's thread, and now I'll actually post it in the right thread...

The shipment of BMSs is on the way, ETA 2 weeks. 60x 4s150a and 40x 8s100a.

Pictures below - 4s on left, 8s on right.

WeChat Image_20210707174741.jpgWeChat Image_20210707174747.jpg

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
Somehow I posted this on someone else's thread, and now I'll actually post it in the right thread...

View attachment 55588View attachment 55589
The 150 amp are a pain to cable. The two B- connectors obviously require a 90 degree turn to meet. The best I've come up with is 6 gauge silicon cable, using welding cable it just isn't flexible enough to keep the cables a reasonable length. Tried with 4 gauge, but can't find cable flexible enough (even really high quality welding wire). I did find really flexible silicon wire, but the biggest size I can find is 6 gauge. I haven't tested it at full draw to see how warm it gets. The 100 amp is much easier since no turns are required with the layout, you can pretty much use any size you want. The 6 gauge should handle 150 amps split between the two cables, it's just a question of how warm it will get at full draw.

Since it's 111 for the next several days here and my wife won't let me test except in the garage, my swamp cooler really doesn't keep it cool enough to really test.

These are good products, you should also consider the 120 amp 4s model with the M6 connectors (rather than the short soldered cables they also offer).

I've attached the spec sheet they sent me for the 150 amp model. It's a very good design. The documentation is certainly much better than Daly provides.

Attachments

• SP04S028-L4S-150A-150A-B-U.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

shadowsteve

The 150 amp are a pain to cable. The two B- connectors obviously require a 90 degree turn to meet. The best I've come up with is 6 gauge silicon cable, using welding cable it just isn't flexible enough to keep the cables a reasonable length. Tried with 4 gauge, but can't find cable flexible enough (even really high quality welding wire). I did find really flexible silicon wire, but the biggest size I can find is 6 gauge. I haven't tested it at full draw to see how warm it gets. The 100 amp is much easier since no turns are required with the layout, you can pretty much use any size you want. The 6 gauge should handle 150 amps split between the two cables, it's just a question of how warm it will get at full draw.

Since it's 111 for the next several days here and my wife won't let me test except in the garage, my swamp cooler really doesn't keep it cool enough to really test.

These are good products, you should also consider the 120 amp 4s model with the M6 connectors (rather than the short soldered cables they also offer).

I've attached the spec sheet they sent me for the 150 amp model. It's a very good design. The documentation is certainly much better than Daly provides.
Do you have a picture of how you cabled the 150? I have two of them here and waiting on my batteries to get building the pack

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
Do you have a picture of how you cabled the 150? I have two of them here and waiting on my batteries to get building the pack
I'll try to get you a picture.
Basically, two 6 gauge wires with 1/4 inch lugs on one end (1/4 inch works very well for M6) joined at the other end shoved into a single lug (I think 2 gauge, might have been 4 gauge, it was the smallest both would fit into). Heat shrink, and with the two cables into one lug, you can add some hot melt glue to plug the gap in the heat shrink opening. The C- connectors are easier, and you can use two 4 gauge connection, again stuffed into a single lug. The B- connectors are 180 degrees opposite, so each cable has to make a 90 degree turn to meet, use the most flexible wire you can find. I used the silicon insulated 6 gauge for that.

Ordinarily I select tinned wire, but I couldn't find it in 6 gauge ultra flexible (smaller wire strands). Ancor of course has it, but it isn't nearly as flexible.

Select the 6 AWG - 1/4" (M6) Ring (Wide)
Selterm are just OK, get the Ancor if you can find it in stock.

Last edited:

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
What if I fabricated a copper bus bar on the laser to connect them together, then just use 1x flexible 1 awg ish cable (didn't check ampacity on 1awg)
That would certainly be better. They make me nervous that if not screwed down tight enough the lug might twist and contact the metal heat sink.
Your custom fabricated solution is better.

Just John

Photon Sorcerer

View attachment 55588View attachment 55589
As an FYI, these arrive with scratches on the heatsink (you can see them in the pictures). It DOES NOT mean they are used as one person accused Overkill of sending them a "used" unit. The red foam you see in the pictures is exactly how JBD sends them, no box, just wrapped in a single layer of foam. They really are great units if the current output meets your needs. Despite the scratches, JBD seems to actually test their units, Daly, not so much. Current connected has made an excellent choice to carry these.

HighTechLab

Small Business Owner
They are here!!! Listing going up later this week, I'll update this thread when they are ready for sale

Attachments

• 20210715_172833.jpg
    20210715_172833.jpg
    947.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210715_172844.jpg
    20210715_172844.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210715_172850.jpg
    20210715_172850.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210715_191055.jpg
    20210715_191055.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210715_191123.jpg
    20210715_191123.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 32

HRTKD

Boondocker
Take my money! Please!
banana.gif

No pending battery projects, so I don't need a BMS at this time. But I may consider buying a backup BMS.

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
They are here!!! Listing going up later this week, I'll update this thread when they are ready for sale
I look forward to a video or two showing how to wire and hook these up. I think you made a good choice to carry these models.
I know the 24v models are easier to cable, but there is a big market for the 150 amp 12v models too (that are actually difficult to wire for the two B- terminals).

memilanuk

Just ordered cells to make two 12v 4s 280ah batteries... was about to order a couple Daly BMS's, but if the 150a version of these is going to be available, that's mighty tempting 🤔

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
Just ordered cells to make two 12v 4s 280ah batteries... was about to order a couple Daly BMS's, but if the 150a version of these is going to be available, that's mighty tempting 🤔
I own three Daly BMS, and two JBD. If the 150 amps will work for you, the JBD is a far more trouble free model.

coil1002

who has a 150 amp 12v model?? i was looking at overkill and your site and do not see anything about BMS.. can you direct me to them.?? thank

This is where I got mine and they are in stock