diy solar

diy solar

JBD HP28SA Normal bms from inside a TopShak Solar Generator

Surferdudemi

Solar Enthusiast
I bought a TopShak 2200 solar generator off Amazon recently for about $650 when there was a coupon. Seemed to work OK first time around, but when I went to recharge it the first time, it failed. At first it seemed to charge, then got progressively worse until the inputs seemed to be shorted (the provided AC power supply blinks and you can hear the relay clicking). Amazon won't take anything like this back for refund, but the seller gave me a full refund. Since it's basically eWaste at this point, I decided to do a "Will" and tear it down. Although I see a smoke trail from one of the internal inductors on the circuit board behind the faceplate, I don't see any obviously burned components. So maybe that just overheated.

Next layer is a large board directly on top of the (Li-ion) battery pack. It's got the heavy duty circuits including, I think, the inverter. Popped that and a bunch of fiberglass board off to find the battery pack. Although this thing charges from 12V, the battery pack is labelled as a 22.2 LiPower 100AH pack. Looks like maybe 6 cells? Above it is a JBD HP28SA 120A BMS. I think this is the "normal BMS" here:

I cannot find any info on talking to this thing, and there are no unused connectors. There are the two black and two red power cables, with two additional thinner cables that go to the front panel PCB. Beyond the sensing wires, there are no other cables. Are these fixed programming? Or are there some PCB pads that they hit at the factory to program it, and then just close it up? I don't even see pads where a serial or other communcation cable could be attached, and there's nothing I can find online about these things beyond the usual connection steps.

Anyone cracked this already? At the very least, I guess I have a 2.2kWH Li-ion battery pack to play with.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back