diy solar

diy solar

JBD/Overkill BMS CAN bus comms support for inverters

Exciting to see. Will the SOC reading override my shunt as both are connected to my cerbo. I find my shunt often doesn’t match my BMS and want the BMS to be the true reading on my cerbo
Once you have the BMS connected to the Cerbo, with my interface, you can select which is used in the victron system, it is set to Automatic by default.

1699767159396.png

Last edited:
So the main project you forked doesn't do comms to an inverter and it is via UART where this does comms to inverter and uses the CAN BUS. Is that the difference?
Both go to home assistant still?

coincidentally looks like off grid just answered all my above questions in a video just released

now I have many other questions, but seems you're already getting hammered in the comments. A lot of buying aspects etc you should post up on the github or whatever. Also have non patreon places people can buy or support you.. so a large percentage doesn't go to them.

I assume you surpassed the limits of the ESP8266 and so you have to use the ESP32 for your project? Why do you use the nodeMCU, just for ease of programming / testing?

Do you plan on ever giving back to the large open source project you forked?

Last edited:

Fortunately, the new firmware version v14.13 of the new JK BMS inverter is really good and provides everything we need.
Buying uksa007 boards is no longer of interest.

For example :
  • Buying 2x new JK PB2A16S20P (without screen) costs $280 including delivery :)
  • Buying 2x old JK B2A20S20P (without screen) $260 + 1x master and slave kit uksa007 boards $430 - total cost: $690 :oops:

Where was JK a year or two ago?? LOL.
Viewing Andy's youtube about uksa007 project.
Looks very similar to my (finally) completed project. Fortunately I had the knowledge to accomplish what I needed.. One must in my mind has always been remote monitoring & control of my inverters & especially my battery packs. Happy to report, I can log in from anywhere, get notifications, modify settings, etc if there should ever be an issue from all components of the system (except the fronius) Direct A/C coupled to grid. It can do whatever it wants, LOL.
Cheers.
Many thanks to overkill bms, github & all it's contributors on the JBD front..,

For batteries without a BMS with comms, is this able to create a "fake" Canbus BMS to send battery info (perhaps supplied from a SmartShunt via MQTT) to a GoodWe inverter?

For batteries without a BMS with comms, is this able to create a "fake" Canbus BMS to send battery info (perhaps supplied from a SmartShunt via MQTT) to a GoodWe inverter?
You may also like to check out this project...

Back