JBD / Overkill BMS Monitoring

tgalarneau

Solar Enthusiast
Going on towards 2000 cycles on my off-grid CALB 180ah batteries and still going strong, I finally added a bms. I didn't think it was necessary before as I kept the batteries well within ideal parameters and times and info were different back then.

But finally I bought an Overkill/JBD bms. At the same time my Outback Hub and ethernet connections fried so needed a new monitoring system. So I also purchased Thornwave battery monitors - one for the inverter and the other for the charge controller along with the bms. These are really great monitors.

I have written a python program to utilize bluetooth to collect the data via a Raspberrypi Zero W from all 3 devices and display it via Grafana.

https://github.com/tgalarneau/bms

jbdbms.pngthornwave.png

shadowsteve

Solar Enthusiast
Looks great. Which of the battery monitors are you using?

I'm changing the system in my RV from AGM to Li. I currently have a Pi and a couple of Arduinos monitoring power flow and storing into a SQL db. My monitoring needs to run local with no Internet needed for data presentation so it doesn't get as fancy as this

tgalarneau

Solar Enthusiast
For my monitoring my batteries I use the bms itself. For charge controller and inverter monitoring I use Thornwave monitors. They are great and the price is good.

I use Influxdb and my pi serves a web page to my lan and am not using the internet only wifi. But Influxdb offers a free cloud version if I needed such. This way I have all the power production, use and storage info available in a easy format for monitoring.

shadowsteve

Solar Enthusiast
For my monitoring my batteries I use the bms itself. For charge controller and inverter monitoring I use Thornwave monitors. They are great and the price is good.

I use Influxdb and my pi serves a web page to my lan and am not using the internet only wifi. But Influxdb offers a free cloud version if I needed such. This way I have all the power production, use and storage info available in a easy format for monitoring.
Thanks. I'll look at the package. I figured you were using a cloud-based system for generating the graphs and gauges. I have wifi in the RV just no persistent internet connection

shadowsteve

Solar Enthusiast
Does this require using the UART connection to the BMS units? I have 2 JBD BMS units with BT and would like to run the software with the comms over the BT