diy solar

diy solar

JBD (XiaoXiang) BMS Serial Communication

d0u8l3m

Crazy Engineer
Hello Everyone

So I'm new to the DIY battery world and had a few questions on what some more experienced users would think would be a good architecture for communicating with several JBD-SP10S009 BMSs at once. These were the only ones I could find in stock (I don't use alibaba or those types of sites) and they only have 1 UART port to connect to. I didn't realize that these use an ATMEGA328P as their main mcu so it makes sense that they only have the single serial out, but the PCB has footprints for an RS485 driver circuit that seems to just be tied to the serial pins in parallel. So knowing that even If I had the BoM and schematic to place these missing parts I can't use the RS485 and UART at the same time.

The problem is that I would like to have a little LCD on the battery modules as well as have them communicating over the network simultaneously. My Inverter (Growatt 12k) has an RS485 out for data as well as some of my other devices that I use an USR-DR302 RS485 to ethernet converter to act as a client for that device to talk to my network.

I want to use their USR-DR-404 wifi modules instead of DIYing my own for my batteries. I was thinking of taking an ATMEGA2056 which has 3 hardware serial ports and using one to constantly read from the BMS (and write configurations), into a buffer, and then using the other two for sending data out, one to an LCD and one to an RS485 converter to the USR-DR404 so I can have all my devices on the same RS485 bus and use an unraid docker app to control everything once I learn about the database/graphana stuff that everyone uses.

Has anyone tried setup like this? Also where would be the appropriate thread to post the entire project? Its a home UPS backup solution until I can buy solar panels.

Thank you!!

Hello,

Reading from JBD serial should work with atmega serial port.

These two threads show some other thoughts on this topic. hope it helps a bit.

Good luck with your project

Back