diy solar

diy solar

jet pump powered setup?

I appreciate everyone's patience as they read this. I am new to this stuff. I am looking to power my well with solar and currently have a Goulds Jet pump which can run at 120 or 240. Currently on 240AC and it pulls 6-8.6A @240. It pumps to a pressure tank and runs for about 35seconds to refill pressure. I am looking into the Bluetti AC300 dual system (6000W, 6144wH, 240V) system which bridged runs 240. I would be using this around the property for other things, not just buying it for the well...

I have read enough to know about the softstart option of the Grundfos Sq pumps and they look great, but it says does not tolerate sandy soil and I have a good amount of sediment in my well which is about 150ft deep with a 100' table level.

1. Can I run my existing jet pump maybe once a day using the Bluetti system referenced?
2. How hard is it to install a submersible pump; Do I need to hire a well company? My current casing has a concreted cap it appears (5" OD)
3. Is the "does not tolerate sandy soil" a real concern?

Thanks

1. Can I run my existing jet pump maybe once a day using the Bluetti system referenced?
In general, well pumps are the worst load for most systems. And the worst well pumps are jet pumps so I'm thinking that you'd better capture the actual surge amps of the pump and carefully compare that to the Bluetti specs. "Probably not" is my educated guess.

2. How hard is it to install a submersible pump; Do I need to hire a well company? My current casing has a concreted cap it appears (5" OD)
At that depth is pretty easy to install with a helper or two if you use poly pipe. Pulling it starts to get really difficult much past 100' due to the added weight of the water in the pipe. Honestly in these days and times it might be good skill to have nailed down. Just be prepared that if you stumble you may not have water for a few days and could have to call a pro to fix your attempt to work around them. Could end up cost more money after they add the "stupid tax" to the bill.

3. Is the "does not tolerate sandy soil" a real concern?
You might be thinking of the SQF helical rotor pump which unless its used for irrigation (lots of water every day) I don't think that it's that big of a concern. It's field rebuildable as well. The SQ is a centrifugal pump so generally speaking I don't think it's any more or less susceptible to sandy water than other submersible pumps

Last edited:
Back