diy solar

diy solar

Jinko Panel Junction Box Serviceable?

cpainter

Guys, I'm needing to repair some crushed cables and replace some plug ends on a few Jinko JKM400M-72HL-V Panels. I'm thinking I'll need to do some splicing of the 12AWG cables or replace them starting at the junction box. Can anybody tell me how to get into these boxes or the best way to splice the wires? I'll try to attach a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6658.jpg
    IMG_6658.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6672.jpg
    IMG_6672.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 7
Can you cut the wire where the problem is and put on a new MC4 connector? I wouldn't want to get into the box.
I can do that. I was just worried about the wire being left too short. Is a splice a difficult or inadvisable thing to do?

I can do that. I was just worried about the wire being left too short. Is a splice a difficult or inadvisable thing to do?

When I wired up my panels, the wires were too long anyhow. So a little shorter wire wouldn't have bothered me.

As long as your wire length fits in your situation, putting an MC4 connection on the shorter length of wire isn't a problem. But if you need the full length, a splice may be necessary. A good quality butt connector with a solid crimp, followed by heat shrink tubing with adhesive inside would work. However, you would have to ensure that the heat shrink is rated for sun/exterior exposure. The tubing I used is NOT rated for sun/exterior. I'm using it on the roof of my RV, but only to keep wires together. I'm keeping an eye on it to see how it weathers.

When I wired up my panels, the wires were too long anyhow. So a little shorter wire wouldn't have bothered me.

As long as your wire length fits in your situation, putting an MC4 connection on the shorter length of wire isn't a problem. But if you need the full length, a splice may be necessary. A good quality butt connector with a solid crimp, followed by heat shrink tubing with adhesive inside would work. However, you would have to ensure that the heat shrink is rated for sun/exterior exposure. The tubing I used is NOT rated for sun/exterior. I'm using it on the roof of my RV, but only to keep wires together. I'm keeping an eye on it to see how it weathers.
I'll just have to invest in some MC4 connectors and good butt connectors then. Thanks for the advice.

The MC4 connector requires a special crimping die. If you already have a ratcheting crimper, you may be able to purchase just the die to fit that crimper.

The MC4 connector requires a special crimping die. If you already have a ratcheting crimper, you may be able to purchase just the die to fit that crimper.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to add that to my shopping list. Thanks again.

Back