diy solar

diy solar

JKBMS Firmware & Software (APP Android or IOS) Errors, Issues or Omissions

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Hello again folks,

I am writing THIS Thread to try and capture various issues related to the JK BMS', in particular issues with the FirmWare and APP Software.
This is NOT about how someone wants the UI or general harangle over over minor issues.

I have been doing other systematic tests with my latest configuration and over the last few days with little to no sun, I allowed my Battery Bank to "empty" and that took a while to reach the point where the Inverter cutoff for low voltage. Good to know it behaves as desired ! and this was achieved when the final pack of 6 reached Low Volt Disconnect @ 2.700 Volts per cell. The JK's behaved exactly as programmed and afterwards all of them showed 0% SOC as they should based on my settings. Luckily leaving the buffer as I did, allowed for the Genset to charge the battery packs once I restarted the inverter/charger.

JK Error - Firmware Flaw !
First Noted when the "system logs" as shown within the APP reached 50 Entries and stopped updating & adding new events as they occured.
This added additional evidence that there are flaws within the firmware and subsequently the APP.
Event Logs: The "Event Logs" are locked to 50 Entries, older entries are NOT removed/aged out, so once you hit 50 Entries that's it, that's all. There is no Switch in the software to clear/flush log files. The firmware does not roll over or cleanup allowing for new entries. THESE LOGS ARE USELESS AS A RESULT ! ROLLING LOGS ARE REQUIRED HERE !

? QUESTION ? Anyone developing external programs to pull data and adjust settings. Have any of you found the "STATUS LOG" Entry (Register or Key) to either pull it or erase it within the BMS ? I have not seen this documented in the RS485, Canbus or any other docs. IF anyone found a way to pull the Log Entried and populate a database please chime in.

JK APP missing a Function:
Back in Version 4.7.? there was a "Reset to Factory Default" switch in the same panels as discharge/charge/Balance ON|OFF can be controlled. This was removed from the APP but there is a firmware register to set that from an external program. This should be returned, along with a Flush Log button (never existed previously).

Hi @Steve_S, thanks for all the hard yards for the community. I am seeing a zero remaining battery and zero remaining capacity, but voltage is showing something quite different, and bases on usage and that the battery and inverter are still working perfectly at this state of charge, it must be the calculation that is wrong and not the voltages.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_213222.jpg
    IMG_20221229_213222.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi @Steve_S, thanks for all the hard yards for the community. I am seeing a zero remaining battery and zero remaining capacity, but voltage is showing something quite different, and bases on usage and that the battery and inverter are still working perfectly at this state of charge, it must be the calculation that is wrong and not the voltages.

I hope that helps.
Something odd about it is that you have a high cycle count so it should be pretty bang on but that is tricky too.
It does depend also on your advanced settings as to what the BMS will read as empty/full.
It typically take 2-4 complete cycles from designated E to F for it to work it out.
@ 3.280V avg this should be reading something like 60% but again your settings will affect that somewhat. I experimented with that a while back when changing some settings for LVD etc and it does use the LVD & HVD to determine what 0% and 100% points are.

I actually did one test once I set all BMS' to have identical parameters, I allowed my bank of 6 packs/1294AH to all hit Inverter Cutoff which is just 0.2V higher than where I have the BMS cutoff set, then I hit it with generator + solar charge for 160A to bank and let that go till I hit "my 100%" at which point the packs themselves also showed as 100% SOC... They have kept pretty well to that and is pretty close to how the WizBangJr smart shunt reads them as well... WizBangJr is the Midnite Solar Smartshunt for their SCC's.

My suggestion is for you to check the advanced settings in your BMS and do realize, that the default settings pretty much SUCK ! I do not think they updated the firmware with the proper settings yet. I know they will be deep into the firmware in January to correct some issues, like the LOGS do not Roll Over. There is also changes coming to the APPs and I expect that will also start to become available in January. JK stopped issuing non-installable apps after the last one.

Thanks Steve. This system has been working perfectly fine for about 5 months now. I thought faulty BMS so swapped it out and got the same outcome. Reinstalled the app but same result. I have run out of ideas.

Anyone developing external programs to pull data and adjust settings.

Hi,

FYI The RS485 port is read only, can only change setting from Bluetooth.

My capacity remaining or SOC get to 99% and only goes to 100% for a short time if it hits the Over voltage protection(OVP) set at 3.6V
I have 55 cycles according to the BMS and have tried charging it to Overvoltage then discharge to under voltage protection.
Still the same after numerous times doing this.

Does everyone's do this?

Ideally it should read 100% when it hits something like the overvoltage recovery(OVPR) as you don't want to charge it to the OVP and make it disconnect every cycle, the OVP should be the last failsafe, not the 100% indicator.

Last edited:
i got 1y36days uptime on my JK bms, some recent app update on android or ios not sure which one resetted my cycle count. Before it seemedto work i didnt pay much attention tho.

@TeaRevver
What app version do you got? I dont have the same menues as you like heating :S

ok...now I am getting a better understanding as to why I am not receiving reply's from JK BMS regarding my issues. I am running the application on an apple phone however I cannot update to latest version. Tried to uninstall and re-install but no-go. Not sure why I am having issues with my BMS as well, perhaps somebody can recommend another BMS for my Lifepo4 cells running at 16S on a LV 6845 ??? Maybe a company that will be there when I have issues ?

ok...now I am getting a better understanding as to why I am not receiving reply's from JK BMS regarding my issues. I am running the application on an apple phone however I cannot update to latest version. Tried to uninstall and re-install but no-go. Not sure why I am having issues with my BMS as well, perhaps somebody can recommend another BMS for my Lifepo4 cells running at 16S on a LV 6845 ??? Maybe a company that will be there when I have issues ?
I run it on Apple also, no issues here it, just updated a few days ago to V4.9.10 says it needs IOS 13, I assume you are running IOS above this?
What version are JK app are you on?

What's wrong with BMS?

Have you tried to contact the seller, sometimes they are better for support than JK, who seem to be more a manufacturer and don't offer much direct to customer support.

uksa007

I have IOS 16.2 on the phone, the app seems to work, I just can't clear the "temp sensor abnormal" problem on my 48 volt system.

HankzorBMS store is the seller...Yes, I tried to contact them as well, just received a reply an hour ago. Will try their requests to fix problem, Thanks !

uksa007

I have IOS 16.2 on the phone, the app seems to work, I just can't clear the "temp sensor abnormal" problem on my 48 volt system.

HankzorBMS store is the seller...Yes, I tried to contact them as well, just received a reply an hour ago. Will try their requests to fix problem, Thanks !
Hope they get it sorted for you, what temp sensor is abnormal?

Re the APP update, have you tried removing it, powering off the phone back on, and then tried install?

i got 1y36days uptime on my JK bms, some recent app update on android or ios not sure which one resetted my cycle count. Before it seemedto work i didnt pay much attention tho.

@TeaRevver
What app version do you got? I dont have the same menues as you like heating :S
It is the latest, 4.81, and just tried both the iOS and Android app with same results.

Last edited:
I realise now that I have two apps that can both talk to the JK BMS. V4.9.9 is the "board empty" BMS (Chinese characters translated), and 4.8.1 is the ENJPOWER app. I am almost certain I used the empty board BMS when testing.Screenshot_20230108-202645.pngScreenshot_20230108-202715.png

uksa007

"Re the APP update, have you tried removing it, powering off the phone back on, and then tried install?"

Yes I did, that did not do the trick.

"What's wrong with BMS?"

I keep getting the "temp sensor abnormal" flashing across the screen on the app...finally got hold of Hankzor bms store, told me I need a new sensor cable. Not sure why the cable is bad after only 3 months. Guess I better pick up a few in case this becomes an issue later.

I am surprised you managed to install Version 4.9.9 on Android, it will not install on any of my Droid devices. In fact the last installable I can use is 4.9.2

Steve_S How, if possible, can I install an older version of the app ? Do you know ?

Yes, you have to delete "remove" existing app & data, restart phone/device & install the older one.
Pending on version of Droid and the customizations by vendor the remove app & data is located in different spots.

"Cannot install on Device"
this is on my Motorolla G Phone with Droid 12. WTF !

EMail sent to HankZor and CC'd to JiKong Corporate.
This is just too much, even worse is one of the BMS' in my Fleet just died BADLY ! Just shutoff charge/discharge claiming MOS Temp was 122C when in fact the entire BMS Temp was 15C and cool to the touch. It ran for 3 months. A replacement is en-route from My Supplier - never dealing with Hankzor again and now I totally regret editing their manual... Not doing that again for ANYONE ! Not gonna hit 3 in the "Rule of 3".

Last edited:
Not sure if this post died, but I have 4.11 on my Samsung s23ultra. First bms shorted out and shot sparks after 3 days, waiting on replacement from hankzor. Before I sent in my bms I noticed the balancer on/off display always said on in the app even though I turned it off. It would display the correct on off on the lcd though.

Second JKBMS, new problem. After 9 days of up time I can not turn off the discharge. I can toggle in the app and it says on and off, but it does not physically turn off the discharge like it has in the few days it's been operational. After the first one shot sparks out the side, and not being able to turn this one off... I'm scared now. Is this one bad too? Any recommendations for replacement? Need 300+amp and active balance.
@Steve_S

Attachments

• 20230502_152126.jpg
    20230502_152126.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230502_151927_BMS.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502_151927_BMS.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 13
Back