diy solar

diy solar

JuncTek Battery Monitor vs Victron SmartShunt

It is expected that a coulomb counter with wifi function will be launched by May 2021
I guess you mean May 2024? I hope you offer it for sale as host computer unit only, so users who already bought a battery monitor and have a shunt and display unit can upgrade their system just by buying the new wifi main unit.

I’m still curious about how a second display may be added to the KH160F. I see on the main unit “RS-485 display“ and “RS-485 link” connectors. Is it enough to just buy a second display and connect to “RS-485 link” on the main unit, or is some setup required?

@Rickey can you please confirm connections, setup and how to buy second display?

The Bluetooth device of KH160F is located in the host computer, and one host computer can connect up to 2 monitors.
I asked Junctek Factory Store on AliExpress how I can buy a second monitor for my KH160F. They replied “亲爱的朋友,一台KH只能用一个显示屏显示。Dear friends, one KH can only be displayed on one screen.”

So @Rickey if the KH series can really connect to 2 monitors like you said above, you should probably inform your team who sell them and provide some way for customers to actually buy a second monitor.

I asked Junctek Factory Store on AliExpress how I can buy a second monitor for my KH160F. They replied “亲爱的朋友,一台KH只能用一个显示屏显示。Dear friends, one KH can only be displayed on one screen.”

So @Rickey if the KH series can really connect to 2 monitors like you said above, you should probably inform your team who sell them and provide some way for customers to actually buy a second monitor.
I recently purchased a Victron Smart-Shunt and testing found that it was dead on voltage and amperage wise. How accurate was the Junctek out of the box?

I recently purchased a Victron Smart-Shunt and testing found that it was dead on voltage and amperage wise. How accurate was the Junctek out of the box?
It’s hard to say as my only other reference to compare against is the 3D brothers Electrodacus, which I know is inaccurate. I assume the Junctek is accurate but that’s the best I can say as I’ve not verified it.

Better to live in happy ignorance and trust those numbers on the display! 😁

Edited to add… my multimeter is a clamp meter for current, so I wouldn’t trust that for accuracy comparison either and voltage I haven’t checked with meter but will do so.

Last edited:

My Won Von has been within a few hundredths of my clamp meter every time I've checked.
Battery voltage the same, also nearly identical to the Victron MPPT.

My only complaint is sometimes the app reads negative as positive or vice-versa, it's infrequent and a quick disconnect and reconnect fixes it.

Since I bought two KG11F, I plugged the second screen to the data port and it didn't work. Switched them around and either only work in the display port.

Attachments

• junctek-2-screens.JPG
    junctek-2-screens.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 11
Since I bought two KG11F, I plugged the second screen to the data port and it didn't work. Switched them around and either only work in the display port.
Thanks for doing that test, it’s an interesting result. I have given up the idea of buying a second display for now as the info from Junctek factory store on AliExpress is contradictory and confusing.

First after I asked to buy a 2nd display they said only one display can be connected to the KH series, then when I asked them what the function of the “RS-485 link” connector on the main unit was, they answered that it was for connecting a second display, then finally when I pointed out I had asked how to buy and connect a second display, they just answered with a link to this listing which has a KL series (different in layout from my KH series) display option.

A KH machine can only be connected to one display. There are 2 interfaces on the measurement module. One is "RS-485 DISPLAY" for connecting to the display, and the other "RS-485 LINK" is used for connecting to 485 communication.

A KH machine can only be connected to one display. There are 2 interfaces on the measurement module. One is "RS-485 DISPLAY" for connecting to the display, and the other "RS-485 LINK" is used for connecting to 485 communication.
Thank you Rickey. I do not understand what the RS-485 link port is used to connect to? RS-485 communication to what?

If a KH machine can only connect to a single display, why did you previously write the below in response to my question about whether I could add a second display?

The Bluetooth device of KH160F is located in the host computer, and one host computer can connect up to 2 monitors.

Hello, conventional machines can only connect one display screen;
If the circuit of the measurement module can be modified to connect to the display simultaneously, but only one of these two displays can set data, and the other can only display data

Hello everyone!

I've recently developed an application that can read data from Junctek devices and transmit it over a port. The real-time data is stored as JSON and can be viewed through a visual dashboard available at this link: Junctek Monitoring Dashboard.

The system ultimately saves the data in a JSON file, making it potentially integrable with Home Assistant or other home automation systems. That integration is my next step.

As for the hardware connection, I used an RS485 cable that I had to fabricate myself – apologies for the DIY nature, but it was the quickest solution. Since I didn't have an RJ9 connector available, I ended up using an old telephone cord which I modified to fit.

I will continue to develop and refine this project, and I'm excited to see how it can be expanded and integrated into more complex systems. Your feedback and suggestions are very welcome!

Looking forward to your thoughts and any advice you might have.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-32-13 Junctek KL-140F Dashboard.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-32-13 Junctek KL-140F Dashboard.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
Back